No One Can Login To Forum.

Started by Droid2875, August 06, 2012, 08:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droid2875

Hello there. I am having an issue with logging into my forum. No members can login and neither can any of the staff of admins. All it does is redirect back to the login page or the forum and treat you as a guest. I have checked the .htaccess file, I have checked cache, I have tried different browsers. I cannot figure this out. Can any one please help me?

ziycon

Welcome to the site Droid2875 :)

Are you able to log into the forum? Have you installed any mods, if so can you list them please?

Droid2875

No, I am unable to login either. It just redirects me to the the forum again as a guest. I have even tried replacing the SMF files with fresh ones and the same thing occurs. I am at a loss and my 93 thousand members are getting upset.

Shambles

Can you provide a link to your forum?

Fresh pair of eyes - you never know  8)

mrintech

Orangine

any errors in Apache log? do you have a custom .htaccess file?

ziycon

As Shambles said, if you can post a link we can have a better look and see whats going on.

Droid2875

THe link is http://celebutopia.net/forum

I am using a few different mods but nothing changed. It was working one minute, the next nothing at all. I have noticed that the url keeps changing from with the http to without it. I have removed the custom .htaccess files and still nothing.

ApplianceJunk

Could your host have changed something that would have caused this?

Shambles

^--- what he said

The main site does, but not the forum.

Are you busy trying things out at this time?

Orangine

it does when you go by http://celebutopia.net/forum/index.php
it looks that you have index.html in the forum directory, try renaming it and see what happens

also you dont have the www/non-www links sorted

ziycon

Hi Droid2875 can you setup a test user and password on your forum please, you can pm me the details, just a normal member.

Droid2875

Quote from: ziycon on August 07, 2012, 05:40:27 PM
Hi Droid2875 can you setup a test user and password on your forum please, you can pm me the details, just a normal member.

I am unable to. I cannot login at all.

Quote from: Orangine on August 07, 2012, 02:37:39 PM
it does when you go by http://celebutopia.net/forum/index.php
it looks that you have index.html in the forum directory, try renaming it and see what happens

I removed the index.html and still cannot login.

ziycon

Quote from: Droid2875 on August 07, 2012, 06:12:28 PM

Too shea, I'll register and have a look see.

Droid2875

Quote from: ziycon on August 07, 2012, 06:18:27 PM
Quote from: Droid2875 on August 07, 2012, 06:12:28 PM

Too shea, I'll register and have a look see.

You wont be able to register either.

Droid2875

It seems that no matter what I do, the forum will not allow anyone to login or register. I am worried that something is really messed up and that I am going to lose my forum.

Shambles

I managed to register but as you say, it won't let me login.

If I change the URL of the login page to add "www." then it won't accept my password, probably adding more weight to this:

Quote from: Orangine on August 07, 2012, 02:37:39 PM

In fact the whole page source has a mixture of "http://celebutopia.net/forum/" and "http://www.celebutopia.net/forum/"

Orangine

^^ it's probably due to the fact that the cookie works for non-www, where after logging in you're redirected to www version, you need to sort out his and I'm guessing the problem will vanish

Droid2875

Can anyone tell me where I would fix this? I have been looking at the code for days and I think I need a fresh pair of eyes.

Orangine

either in cPanel or by editing your htaccess file

Droid2875

Yea see I have edited both already and the same thing happens.

Orangine

you have to edit ONE of them, not both

Droid2875

What I meant was that I tried editing one and it didn't work and then i edited the other while putting the other back and it didn't work.

Orangine

Then you're definitely doing something wrong. I'm afraid I'm not going to guess what is/was in your htaccess and you're not making the whole thing easier for us by not providing us with details.

Droid2875

I have no problems showing you my .htaccess files or what you need.

RewriteEngine On
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteBase /
Rewrite ^index\.php$ - [L]
Rewrite %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
Rewrite %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

Droid2875

Here is the .htaccess from the forum directory

# PRETTYURLS MOD BEGINS
# Pretty URLs mod
# http://code.google.com/p/prettyurls/
# .htaccess file generated automatically on: October 22, 2011, 21:23

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /forum

# Rules for: topics
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1;topic=$2.0 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([0-9]*|msg[0-9]*|new)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1;topic=$2.$3 [L,QSA]

# PRETTYURLS MOD ENDS

I have tried removing this one as well and rewriting it as the default one that I just showed you and it doesn't work either.

Orangine

there's nothing there about www/non-www
add this after the first line if you want to redirect all www traffic to non-www:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://%1/$1 [R=301,L]

edit: so many posts and you never EVER mentioned you're using pretty urls mod. Why you're making it so difficult to help you?

Droid2875

I honestly forgot. Please forgive me. I have cancer and am going through chemo and I am not always feeling so well.

Orangine

Oh, I'm not upset, but I think you may be at this point, sorry if I sounded too harsh, I hope you'll get better! Try adding my code after "RewriteEngine on"

Droid2875

Orangine

try putting it in the main .htaccess, not the one in /forum

Droid2875

I am sorry but the issue remains. I have done exactly as you have said. The code you have given me is now in the main .htaccess file.

Orangine

got to go now, if you still cannot figure it out, what do you say for PMing me ftp details and I will have a look myself?

Droid2875

That's fine by me. Just so you know it does the exact same thing with the inability to login. It just redirects back to the login page and considers me and everyone else a guest.

Shambles

This is a lonnnng shot, but try logging into your db via phpmyadmin (or whatever you use from your cpanel) and inside table smf_settings (assuming smf_ is your db prefix) change the variable globalCookies from 0 to 1.

That might just force your installation to use subdomain independent cookies.

Long shot, as I said.

Droid2875

I cannot find that anywhere. I searched and zero results came back.

Droid2875

Can any one PLEASE assist me? My forum has been down for days now and I am losing a lot of traffic and my members are getting upset. I am simply out of ideas and I have tried everything that people have said to do here.

ziycon

Hi Droid, pm me your ftp login details and I'll have a look now.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Orangine

I'll have another go if you don't mind, will report shortly

Orangine

Ok, I give up. You have a htaccess with loads of entries from WPCache in your main forum, then htaccess in your forum folder with PrettyUrl redirections, and - as I explained in PM - I think there is another redirection in your cPanel

even with both htaccess files commented out/renamed/deleted, it's still impossible to access the forum just by typing "http://www.celebutopia.net/forum". it's beyond my knowledge I'm afraid, sorry

and your problems with logging in are probably caused by the fact that SMF treats www/non-www as separate domains, and the cookie set by SMF is not being recognized

ziycon

Droid, can you tell me the last changes/mods installed before this issue occurred?

Shambles

Quote from: Orangine on August 09, 2012, 06:38:28 AM
and your problems with logging in are probably caused by the fact that SMF treats www/non-www as separate domains, and the cookie set by SMF is not being recognized

Did the OP give you his cPanel access by any chance?

What I suggested earlier (which he says he cannot find) is still worth a shot, in my book...

Quote from: Shambles™ on August 08, 2012, 04:06:32 PM
This is a lonnnng shot, but try logging into your db via phpmyadmin (or whatever you use from your cpanel) and inside table smf_settings (assuming smf_ is your db prefix) change the variable globalCookies from 0 to 1.

That might just force your installation to use subdomain independent cookies.

Orangine

no, just ftp access. you may have a point advising to change the cookie setting, but this situation should be sorted, orelse the website will be penalised by google

Droid2875

I looked in the db for what you told me to and it is not there. I have checked in cpanel and there are no redirections anywhere that I can find. I am telling you it driving me up a wall. This happened when I changed servers. I have everything on the new server installed the same as the last. I am stumped.

Droid2875

Quote from: Droid2875 on August 09, 2012, 05:50:03 PM
I looked in the db for what you told me to and it is not there. I have checked in cpanel and there are no redirections anywhere that I can find. I am telling you it driving me up a wall. This happened when I changed servers. I have everything on the new server installed the same as the last. I am stumped.

oRANGINE, I went to that url and I can access the forum just not login.

Droid2875

ok. i deleted everything and uploaded everything again and still the exact same problem. There where no files left in the directory. IT has to be in the database somewhere I guess. I am at a complete loss.

mashby

Hmm...wondering if the Server Settings are where some things could be tweaked. But I don't think you can get there, right? I looked in phpMyAdmin on a test site and I'm not sure what to change there. I did get the registration email, nothing wrong with that part. And I cannot login either of course. :) Hmm...
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Droid2875

I can access everything in the database. I do not understand is I deleted everything, yet my banner from way back when is showing up??!!

Droid2875

Topic solved. I just imported the entire database again and all new files. I was dreading having to do that but I guess I had to do what I had to do. THanks for all your help everyone.

Advertisement: