Topic: SMF 2.0 Demo (Read 20746 times @ the time of posting this)

Started by nimd4, August 17, 2012, 06:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nimd4

Hi,

The topic: SMF 2.0 Demo seems to be locked or I can't post in it.. A bit crazy not to have a demo, especially seeing how that topic has 20+k views. :(

Anyway, it's available @

LINK REMOVED
QuoteSMF Demo
Sending/receiving email is disabled on all demos
Demos are the 'basic install' only, no add-ons, no content
Demo Main Page Demo Admin Page

:)

P.S.
Current Demo version is: SMF 2.0.2

Chas Large

That topic is not locked but it is very VERY old circa 2008. The warning that pops up suggests starting a new topic rather than opening up an old one but even so, you should still be able to post into it.

As the replies suggest, the best way to demo the SMF is to install it on your computer using a server simulator like EasyPHP or XAMPP.

For a live demo, well you're using one right here!
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Oldiesmann

If you want to try SMF without installing it, check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/125/SMF. Username is admin, password is demo123. It will give you full admin access, though some features (attachments, package manager, ability to install themes, etc.) won't work for security reasons.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

movierchives

Quote from: Oldiesmann on August 26, 2012, 11:55:13 PM
If you want to try SMF without installing it, check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/demo/1/125/SMF. Username is admin, password is demo123. It will give you full admin access, though some features (attachments, package manager, ability to install themes, etc.) won't work for security reasons.
Looks like the spambots have got to that demo

Chas Large

Quote from: movierchives on August 27, 2012, 10:21:29 PM
Quote from: Oldiesmann on August 26, 2012, 11:55:13 PM
I agree. But a useful test site to have all the same.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Irisado

I was going to mention this yesterday, but I thought it might be part of the demo, and that I would look a bit silly.

It's great for getting a greater grip of SMF software.  It's just a shame we can't practice using the banhammer on those spam bots.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Kindred

well, the easiest and best way to demo a FREE web product is to download and do the installation yourself.
I understand online demos for paid products - you don't want to pay and then find out it doesn't do what you need.... however, with a free product, you download the installation files, put it on a test directory on your server and run with it... that way, you not only get an idea of the full capabilities of the software, but you also get a good idea on how easy it is to do the installation and configuration.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

movierchives

Quote from: Irisado on August 28, 2012, 08:13:01 AM

I was going to mention this yesterday, but I thought it might be part of the demo, and that I would look a bit silly.

It's great for getting a greater grip of SMF software.  It's just a shame we can't practice using the banhammer on those spam bots.
Not a good advertisement to have them on a demo and I hope they do something about this on the future update (2.10)

Irisado

Quote from: Kindred on August 28, 2012, 09:14:04 AM
well, the easiest and best way to demo a FREE web product is to download and do the installation yourself.
I understand online demos for paid products - you don't want to pay and then find out it doesn't do what you need.... however, with a free product, you download the installation files, put it on a test directory on your server and run with it... that way, you not only get an idea of the full capabilities of the software, but you also get a good idea on how easy it is to do the installation and configuration.

I completely agree that this is suitable for users who are looking to create a forum, have decent hosting, and have all the other necessary things which are requires to run a forum.

If, like me, however, you just like the software, enjoy just finding things out about it, and seeing how certain features work, and don't want to create a forum, it seems easier just to use a demo.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

movierchives

Quote from: Kindred on August 28, 2012, 11:10:01 AM
movierchives,

that demo/domain is not controlled by SMF.
I gather that but it would be nice to know if the registration is being updated on the new version, SMF 2.10.  The bots as members know have caught up with the current registration process

Kindred

well, since 2.1 is not even in Alpha yet, it is unlikely that the opensourcescms site will be updating any time soon
Слaва
Украинi

青山 素子

Quote from: movierchives on August 28, 2012, 11:49:43 AM
I gather that but it would be nice to know if the registration is being updated on the new version, SMF 2.10.  The bots as members know have caught up with the current registration process

Use custom registration questions on your installation. It's very effective feature in 2.0 as long as you don't ask general-knowledge questions like "What color is the sky?". The site hosting the demo wants to make it as easy to try out as possible, so they don't enable any anti-spam options beyond the most basic. It's also why they do a clean of the demo site every few hours.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: