News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisado

Quote from: Iomega0318 on September 02, 2012, 06:47:51 PM
For anyone interested you can see 2.1 Alpha on my test site here:
UOFreeshards.net 2.1 Aplha Test Site
All Core Features have been enabled on the site, if you want to register and test them out feel free.

That certainly looks quite a bit different from the current standard theme.  I like the fact that it's still quite similar, but there are some aspects that will definitely take some getting used to from the look of it.

Thanks for posting this.  I might register and have a play around with it later.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Trekkie101

You're free to post the two features you've found, what were they :P

Kindred

I have also set up an accessible test site...
http://test2.turtleshellprod.com/

Posting reports and comments as I find them... Anyone else is welcome to join in.
http://test2.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?board=2.0
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kenny01

That's great, hoping to read more on this...

lifeguard81

I love the new theme. Its realy a nice one!
Great job devteam!
www.doenwenu.nl
Excuse me for my english. i am from holland :)

Irisado

Quote from: Kindred on September 03, 2012, 11:35:09 AM
I have also set up an accessible test site...
http://test2.turtleshellprod.com/

Posting reports and comments as I find them... Anyone else is welcome to join in.
http://test2.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?board=2.0

I'll sign up Kindred.  If there's anything specific you want me to test, let me know.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Dzonny

holodoc

Joseph H

Great news hope someone can post a demo of a fresh instal
Cheap webhosting +24 hours

Iomega0318

Quote from: Irisado on September 03, 2012, 08:27:08 AM
For anyone interested you can see 2.1 Alpha on my test site here:
All Core Features have been enabled on the site, if you want to register and test them out feel free.

That certainly looks quite a bit different from the current standard theme.  I like the fact that it's still quite similar, but there are some aspects that will definitely take some getting used to from the look of it.

Thanks for posting this.  I might register and have a play around with it later.
Hehe yeah and my host is having some database issues at the moment lol so I just got it back online.. freaking host!
But yes feel free to register, post, test stuff out, post things you like/hate.

Quote from: emanuele on September 03, 2012, 05:24:52 AM
**EDIT TWO**
OMFreakingG! I have noticed a few things that I absolutely love! I would say them but no spoilers, unless you say it's ok lol..
* emanuele is curious! :P
Also some of the features I have found and love so far are,
I am not sure but is it Ajax stuff added in, definitely the fact that Drafts support is being added and the fact that there's no more pop ups! Another is the way user info like ICQ ect is displayed by hovering over the Avatar! I am sure there is much more I have forgotten since last night lol..
UOFreeshards.net
"I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun...
not because I see it but because by it I see everything else."
C.S. Lewis

Heed what I say, for it shall be mentioned only once.

Irisado

Quote from: Iomega0318 on September 03, 2012, 04:46:35 PM
Another is the way user info like ICQ ect is displayed by hovering over the Avatar!

I thought it was displayed hovering over the user name?  At least it was for me.  That's one of the new features I don't like myself, as I like post count, personal text, and contact icons to be easily visible without having to hover the mouse over anything.

Iomega0318

Quote from: Irisado on September 03, 2012, 05:06:46 PM
Quote from: Iomega0318 on September 03, 2012, 04:46:35 PM
Another is the way user info like ICQ ect is displayed by hovering over the Avatar!

I thought it was displayed hovering over the user name?  At least it was for me.  That's one of the new features I don't like myself, as I like post count, personal text, and contact icons to be easily visible without having to hover the mouse over anything.
Yeah I corrected it right before you quoted my post lol, I had put click the avatar :P

And I am sure it could be modded back the way it was but I kinda like it, it saves so much space and makes it look cleaner while still allowing you to hover and see everything you would want to know.
UOFreeshards.net
C.S. Lewis

Kindred

Actually, the hover stuff is something that I despise...

For one, I want things displayed, not requiring hover... 99% of the people will never find it if it requires a hover.

For two, I use an iPad a lot of the time... Which means there is no hover, and. Can never see that information.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Irisado

Quote from: Iomega0318 on September 03, 2012, 05:17:55 PM
And I am sure it could be modded back the way it was but I kinda like it, it saves so much space and makes it look cleaner while still allowing you to hover and see everything you would want to know.

I want to see everything I want to know without having to hover though ;).  I also would say that Kindred's point is very important on a number of levels, not least that people are lazy, and like to see information without having to do anything to obtain it.

I would imagine that it's always a nightmare updating forum software as you're never going to be able to please everyone, which is probably why so many mods are created in the first place.

I'll continue to test, and see what other features I can find as a regular user.

Suki

Hovering isn't the only way, the same can be applied on click, that's how I got it on my site (with a lightbox) since I dislike hovering too.

I also dislike having to see the same data over and over again, like the info part on the left, if I post 10 messages, there will be ten times the same data, over and over again, if a person wants to know my data then this person will have to click on my avatar to see it.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Trekkie101

On the iPad, and tablets, tap the name and it it shows, tap again to goto the profile.

However on a slightly different version/test of this theme theres a reveal button.

emanuele

Quote from: Kindred on September 03, 2012, 05:25:42 PM
Actually all the crap next (and below) the posts is something that I despise... :P

The theme is there to be changed. furthermore, the default theme (IMHO) should just be a (good) skeleton that people can easily customize to match their own needs, not something that tries to make everybody happy, because in the end it will be something that no one really likes.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Iomega0318

Quote from: Irisado on September 03, 2012, 05:28:00 PM
I want to see everything I want to know without having to hover though ;).  I also would say that Kindred's point is very important on a number of levels, not least that people are lazy, and like to see information without having to do anything to obtain it.

I would imagine that it's always a nightmare updating forum software as you're never going to be able to please everyone, which is probably why so many mods are created in the first place.
Haha very true on both counts lol..

Quote from: emanuele on September 03, 2012, 05:58:31 PM
Quote from: Kindred on September 03, 2012, 05:25:42 PM
Actually all the crap next (and below) the posts is something that I despise... :P

The theme is there to be changed. furthermore, the default theme (IMHO) should just be a (good) skeleton that people can easily customize to match their own needs, not something that tries to make everybody happy, because in the end it will be something that no one really likes.
And yes I agree with you completely emanuele, although I will say I don't mind signatures at least the first time.. then seeing them 80 times more in a thread is annoying lol..

Quote from: holodoc on September 03, 2012, 04:05:49 PM
Good. Some new toys to break :)
lol yes indeed :)

**EDIT**
On a side note some things I would love to see would be some sort of attachment sorting built in as well as lightbox or similar, I have always hated how when you click on a large image in the attachments it just enlarges it then you not only have to scroll your page down to see it all you then have to scroll the attachment window to view it..
UOFreeshards.net
C.S. Lewis

Irisado

Quote from: emanuele on September 03, 2012, 05:58:31 PM

True, but the basic skeleton that is currently here is hardly cluttered.  I mean there's only post count, personal text, and a few icons.  That's hardly a major inconvenience to my mind.  I feel that it would be better to design a mod/theme which allows users who don't like them to hide them, rather than have them only visible through hovering/clicking as the default option.

Still, I'm not skilled with IT, so I can only comment as a user of SMF, rather than a computer expert, and you can't please everyone all of the time :).

Iomega0318

Added a few new boards, one for likes and dislikes and one for bugs/errors.
Also changed the link to go through my main site to track how many people visit it, just for me really lol :)

UOFreeshards.net
C.S. Lewis

Advertisement: