Restrict thread & post visibility to Topic Starter & Team only in one board

Started by FireDitto, September 07, 2012, 10:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireDitto

Hi,

What I'd like to be able to do is make it so that on a selected board, if a member is to post they will be able to see, and respond, only to their own threads.

No one else but Moderators, G. Mods or Admin will be able to see all the threads/replies on the board in question.

>< Hopefully that makes sense.

Restricted Viewing Board A
Member X can see all threads they created, as well as any replies the Team may have posted in that thread.
Member Y can only see the thread they created, and any replies within.
Moderator Z can see ALL the threads in the board, as well as comment on them.
Member W cannot see anything, as they have not posted in that board.

Why I want this;

I want a board where members can submit their character profiles in privacy, and not have people gawking at the comments and exchanges between the Player and the Team as they made any required adjustments.
Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

live627

Thread privacy is not easy to implement. SMF has lots of places to cover, which is to be expected for modifying one of the flagship components.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I think SimpleDesk is something like this. Have try it? One can post but it will shows to he himself and the admin. The admin can later make it public, if he wants it to. Sorry, if this is not what you want.

FireDitto

Ahh, true stuff.

I'll give it a try, see if I can't get it to work for me. Thank you =)

Suki

Give this a try:  https://github.com/MissAllSunday/PrivateTopic  it needs testing before send it to the modsite.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

FireDitto

Hi Suki

It seems to have installed cleanly, but the redirect didn't end up pointing me anywhere and beyond setting the permissions for membergroups (done) I am unable to find where to turn it "on", since it isn't working.

live627

FireDitto

Quote from: live627 on October 01, 2012, 04:02:42 AM

• Thank you
  • Yes, actually, you do - "Enable the Private Topics mod" ;)

Couple of requests if it would be at all possible;
+ Admin accounts able to view an active list of who has access to see the restricted thread
+ Original Poster able to add or remove members from viewing rights via editing the original post.
+ Private thread PMs use the login name; it would be better if it used the 'Real name'

=) Those are just what I noticed straight up. But this is definitely something I'm after and I'd love to see it with the above list/editing rights added. That would make it perfect IMHO.

Thanks.

FireDitto

What part of the code do I need to remove to make it so there is only the check box option?

Suki

Quote from: FireDitto on October 01, 2012, 08:10:28 AM
What part of the code do I need to remove to make it so there is only the check box option?

You mean you don't want the global enable/disable option?

+ Admin accounts able to view an active list of who has access to see the restricted thread

That should be too difficult to do, it depends on where do you want to see that list, if it is on the topic itself, then the info is already there, its just a matter of adding a nice list to the template or using template layers to keep it sources only.

+ Original Poster able to add or remove members from viewing rights via editing the original post.

That should be already possible AFAIK, I read the pull request from Live on the weekend, I remember something about editing, will read the whole pull request and merge it to the master branch.

+ Private thread PMs use the login name; it would be better if it used the 'Real name'

Not so sure what you mean by thread pms. The SMF auto suggest script does work with the displayed name only. Usually, SMF uses the displayed name for links and stuff like that, thats why I used the displayed name to keep it consistent.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

FireDitto

Quote from: Suki on October 01, 2012, 12:18:29 PM
Quote from: FireDitto on October 01, 2012, 08:10:28 AM

You mean you don't want the global enable/disable option?

No, I wanted to be able to turn off the option to choose individual names. Eg, I have a membergroup labled 'Restricted' which can see all Private threads, as they're the only ones with the permission to do so. So they don't need to specify a membername as I don't want anyone not in that group to be able to view.

>< Does that make sense?

That should be too difficult to do, it depends on where do you want to see that list, if it is on the topic itself, then the info is already there, its just a matter of adding a nice list to the template or using template layers to keep it sources only.
Just in side the thread would be fine, kind of like how you can turn on the 'Who is Viewing This Thread' to show the usernames when someone is in said thread; maybe something like;
Name, name, name  and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.
Private Viewing Permission: name, name, name etc.

That should be already possible AFAIK, I read the pull request from Live on the weekend, I remember something about editing, will read the whole pull request and merge it to the master branch.
I thought it should be, but it didn't appear to be possible when I was fiddling around with it on the test site. I tried as both the OP and as the Admin account.

Not so sure what you mean by thread pms. The SMF auto suggest script does work with the displayed name only. Usually, SMF uses the displayed name for links and stuff like that, thats why I used the displayed name to keep it consistent.

When the PMs were sent to the accounts in question, they showed the login name rather than the display name in the pm, so it was "User123 has invited you to a private thread!" rather than "Test has invited you to a private thread!"

live627

No, I wanted to be able to turn off the option to choose individual names. Eg, I have a membergroup labled 'Restricted' which can see all Private threads, as they're the only ones with the permission to do so. So they don't need to specify a membername as I don't want anyone not in that group to be able to view.
They can post in their own dedicated board, can they not?

FireDitto

Quote from: live627 on October 02, 2012, 08:40:18 PM
They can post in their own dedicated board, can they not?

What has that got to do with anything? I want them to be able to post in the main boards, but keep their topics to themselves; just members of the approved groups allowed to view. I don't want them restricted to a different board.

FireDitto

LOL, you chill. I wasn't giving attitude. I was asking a simple question.

Suki

The mod just got a lot of improvements: https://github.com/MissAllSunday/PrivateTopics

Now covers  a lot more places and directly modifies queries when possible rather than initialize a new class for each topic checked. Uses the cache system too.

I know it is far more efficient to just create a new row on topics table, I'm aware of that.

As for the edits, you can simply left the users field empty and manage all via the permission to see any topics, will probably need to add a fix to at least add the topic starter if the users filed is left empty.

FireDitto

FireDitto

O_O At least one of my boards is completely missing now;

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: topic

The topics can still be reached... but it's saying the board itself no longer exists or... something?! Help, please ;;

I can also view it as a guest; but not logged in as an Admin, or my members on their accounts.

there are four boards after going through them all:
    Weyrleader's Headquarters (id 42) (Admin only)
    Whiteboard (id 4) (everyone)
    Bulletiin Board (id 22) (everyone)
    Recycle Bin (id 41) (Admin only)

None of them have the mod allocated to work on them, but they are not the only boards that don't.
They are all Parent boards with children, and all the children boards work.

Suki

uh, perhaps was a missing edit on github, can you tell me the exact line where the error is, on the error log the line should appear.

Suki

OK, I committed a few fixes and to cover more places too, try the latest package from github.

Advertisement: