News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Rename index.php

Started by Thantos, November 27, 2005, 11:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theatre Publicity

Quote from: Arantor on April 05, 2010, 08:55:20 AM
Install Pretty Urls or SimpleSEF mod. However in a forum, descriptive URLs do NOT have an SEO benefit AT ALL.

Agreeing with Arantor on this one - though I would add it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to install the pretty urls mod package and configure it - and people do prefer clicking on urls that are more descriptive.

Where I do think you can get a little more bang for your buck is in altering the title text code in your forum. It does not take a lot of skill to swap the order of texts making the forum title more descriptive to search engines.
Visit www.todosquepaso.com/simplemachinesforum to publicize your show or event. Purchase may be required.

winsoft

great tip, i will try to do that, it's good change that file name for security concerns.

Silvershark78

OK. Quick question. If I rename index.php, will I have to alter the link on my homepage to the forum? Will it mess with simple portal? The only reason I want to rename the utl is because I have been told by 3 marketing web designers that the url looks unproffesional. But I read the mod that renames it in the modification section and it says you have to disable the make it seo friendly option. Which would be detrimental. correct?
I just want to take it out of the main portal url to make the url look a little better, I don't mind if index appears on any other page in the forum.

Is it worth bothering with this? Is it detrimental to search engines? will it cause problems other than package manager?
Still have lots to learn

mashby

I'm going to sum it up like this. You have 3 marketing web designers who think index.php looks unprofessional?!? Huh? Sure, I wish it read beermenow.php, but isn't the content on the page a lot more important? You're simply worrying about something that is really trivial. I wouldn't mess with it at all.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: