News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Rename index.php

Started by Thantos, November 27, 2005, 11:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

To rename the forum's index.php file do the following:

Rename the actual file.
Open QueryString.php in your Sources directory
Find $scripturl = $boardurl . '/index.php';
And change index.php to whatever filename you want.

Leipe Po

wahaahaha i really needed this, and withing 3 mouse clicks found it, good job and thank a bunch
There is only one thing more importend to me then coding:
My Girlfriend

Microsoft - "You've got questions.  We've got dancing paperclips."

Neol

What is the point of this?

Flying Drupalist

You can build other front pages! OMG THANKS!

babjusi

Thanks for this tip Thantos

Flying Drupalist

Really happy that Zeri YT bumped this. :D

jkay

How do I create a index page that is of the same template as my forum?

Thanks!

Osmonicar

Quote from: jkay on July 06, 2007, 05:00:04 AM
How do I create a index page that is of the same template as my forum?

Thanks!

Just copy the index.php I think?

Harro

You'll have to create it.
Take a look at this topic for a bit more information.

jkay

Thanks! I have successfully changed that. I need help with editing the link tree, any idea how I can do that?

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=181497.msg1154676#msg1154676

Harro

Just replied in that topic. Let me know there if you still need help with it :)

heavyccasey

This was posted in 2005. Does it still work?

Dragooon

whosline07

Quick problem with this, I changed the line to use forums.php instead of index.php, and it did in fact change the url's for the link bar to the correct ones, however none of them work.  Any suggestions?

JBlaze

You have to rename index.php as well...
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

whosline07

Sorry to not mention that, but I did that as well.

JBlaze

What version forum are you using? If you are using 2.0 you may have to clear your forum cache.
Jason Clemons

whosline07

That appears to have solved it thanks a bunch.

JBlaze

Jason Clemons

MF30

ultide

thanks a lot .... i needed this :D
[nofollow]

devinlefevere

Which index file do I need to modify? the one in sources or the main folder?

also can Caps be used?

Arantor

You need to modify the very topic index.php.

Caps can be used only if you make sure the definition of $scripturl is updated too; some servers dislike caps, so be careful.

In general this whole process isn't really recommended; putting it in a folder would be far more preferable generally.

devinlefevere

Quote from: Arantor on September 20, 2009, 09:49:38 AM
You need to modify the very topic index.php.

Caps can be used only if you make sure the definition of $scripturl is updated too; some servers dislike caps, so be careful.

In general this whole process isn't really recommended; putting it in a folder would be far more preferable generally.

Gotcha. Well thanks for the help. I might go the folder route then in that case.

Arantor

Can I ask what the need for not putting it in a folder was?

darrenbeige

If you have done this to your forum, if you install any more mods through the package manager, it will report it as going to fail. This is not the case. Carry on with the package installation, and manually add any code to your new index.php (whatever it may be called).

Thanks,

Arantor

Only if the mod alters index.php - not all of them do.

It's still not really recommended to do this anyway.

darrenbeige

A lot of them do though; mainly to add to the actions array...

Arantor

Speaking as a mod author; only 1 of the mods I've written actually targets index.php - while mods can and do add actions, fewer do so than you might think.

darrenbeige

I suppose it depends what mods you add. Most of mine seemed to add to the actions array. Anyhow, regardless of how common or uncommon the event may be, it is still possible that you may need to perform the index.php edits manually.

Arantor

Oh, of course. And in those cases, yes, you will have to perform those on whatever you rename index.php to, since the mod will HAVE to be manual-installed at least for that step.

MDMeyers

Recently installed SMF and allowed program to default setting on install. 
Now, I see URL is non descrilptive.  Read thread about rename index.php and wanted to know that would address this issue with URL?
Thanks

Arantor

Install Pretty Urls or SimpleSEF mod. However in a forum, descriptive URLs do NOT have an SEO benefit AT ALL.

BadBiz

Quote from: Thantos on November 27, 2005, 11:17:01 PM

Rename the actual file.
Hi there, thank you for the information but in my case this did not work this is what I did,

Edited;
QueryString.php

Which said;
$scripturl = $boardurl . '/index.php';

Renamed;
mydomain/index.php to mydomain.home.php

Saved All;

Forum Crashed any suggestions it went back fine when I renamed the home.php and reversed everything

Any suggestions would be appreciated

kat

Quote from: BadBiz on May 01, 2011, 03:56:11 PM
$scripturl = $boardurl . '/index.php';

Renamed;
mydomain/index.php to mydomain.home.php

Is that a typo?

I believe it should be:

mydomain/index.php to mydomain/home.php

Subtly different, yes?

Frona

Quote from: Thantos on November 27, 2005, 11:17:01 PM

Rename the actual file.
I do that, but it dosen't wotk :(

I follow this way:
1. renaming index.php to abc.php
2. changing $boardurl . '/index.php'; line of QueryString.php file to $boardurl . '/abc.php'
3. moving files and folders to root of host, then trying to install SMF using:
www.***.com/install.php

But I get this error:
Quote!! Critical Error!
Unable to find crucial installation files in the directory of this script!
Please make sure you uploaded the entire installation package, including the sql file, and then try again.
See here [nofollow], plz.

Frona

searching After days, I found this topic and above trick, but it doesn't work on SMF2.0.x!

Frona

please help! that's important for me to:
1. Rename index.php
2. hide the index of SMF => Users should not access to front page(index), I'll give them links of subforums!

Frona

tmlander

:(

This doesn't seem to work for me... I'm running version 2.0.2

I changed the $scripturl located in Sources/QueryString.php to my file name...
I changed the actual file name...
I cleared the cache by going to Forum Maintenance >> Empty the file cache

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Theatre Publicity

Quote from: Arantor on April 05, 2010, 08:55:20 AM
Install Pretty Urls or SimpleSEF mod. However in a forum, descriptive URLs do NOT have an SEO benefit AT ALL.

Agreeing with Arantor on this one - though I would add it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to install the pretty urls mod package and configure it - and people do prefer clicking on urls that are more descriptive.

Where I do think you can get a little more bang for your buck is in altering the title text code in your forum. It does not take a lot of skill to swap the order of texts making the forum title more descriptive to search engines.
Visit www.todosquepaso.com/simplemachinesforum to publicize your show or event. Purchase may be required.

winsoft

great tip, i will try to do that, it's good change that file name for security concerns.

Silvershark78

OK. Quick question. If I rename index.php, will I have to alter the link on my homepage to the forum? Will it mess with simple portal? The only reason I want to rename the utl is because I have been told by 3 marketing web designers that the url looks unproffesional. But I read the mod that renames it in the modification section and it says you have to disable the make it seo friendly option. Which would be detrimental. correct?
I just want to take it out of the main portal url to make the url look a little better, I don't mind if index appears on any other page in the forum.

Is it worth bothering with this? Is it detrimental to search engines? will it cause problems other than package manager?
Still have lots to learn

mashby

I'm going to sum it up like this. You have 3 marketing web designers who think index.php looks unprofessional?!? Huh? Sure, I wish it read beermenow.php, but isn't the content on the page a lot more important? You're simply worrying about something that is really trivial. I wouldn't mess with it at all.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: