Top X Stats

Started by Matthew K., January 02, 2013, 03:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew K.

Link to Mod

Brief Summary:

This add on will give you the opportunity to show a top x stats box on your forum index.

For the moment the stats that will appear are:

1) Newest Users
2) Top Posters
3) Latest posts

The add on is fully configured at Admin->Panel->Modification Settings->To X Stats Settings.

There you can enable and disable the add on and you can also choose how many top stats you want to show.

Mentions:

• Version: 1.0.1
  • Originally Written by: cicka
  • Written by: Labradoodle-360
  • Copyright: Matthew Kerle - All Rights Reserved
  • Dedicated To: LILM, my family, and Scotty Christianson.

FrizzleFried

Looks cool.. though it's ODD it lists the total number at top instead of the number chosen for each stat...

(Example if you choose to show 10 it says TOP 30 STATS at the top).

There is also extra space at the bottom of the block... it would be more aesthetically pleasing to remove that extra space.

Also:  Any way to make the location configurable?   Or perhaps to be included "inside" the Info Center block?

May want to allow folks to configure which blocks of the three (so far) will show.  I know many forums who do not like to show a "list" of the newest members (for example).

Just some ideas/thoughts.  Thanks!

EDIT: Oh,  and is there any way to pull this block up to appear in a SimplePortal block by chance?

Shambles

EDIT: Oh,  and is there any way to pull this block up to appear in a SimplePortal block by chance?

Doesn't SP have its own block specifiers for these items?

4Kstore

This a great idea, maybe an screenshot would be great...
Thanks for share!

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Matthew K.

This is something that cicka originally wrote, but I updated it for her and she didn't want to submit it herself.
Quote from: FrizzleFried on January 02, 2013, 04:12:28 PM
Looks cool.. though it's ODD it lists the total number at top instead of the number chosen for each stat...

(Example if you choose to show 10 it says TOP 30 STATS at the top).
It was an interesting decision that I made, for sure. But the number in the header is the count of all of the items from the three columns added together.

Skaty

Any screen would be great, thank you for the mod.

Gryzor

Skaty, I'm attaching a screenshot for you.

Great mod, I love it! Only one note, as said before, it'd be nice if the position was configurable. I'm sure some of the members would not like it to eat up all that space on top of the forum...

Thanks!

Matthew K.

Thanks for posting a screenshot! Changing it's position is a good idea, although I didn't originally write it which is why when I rewrote it I didn't add that ability, I may end up doing that eventually.

Gryzor

No problem :)

Another idea - maybe it'd be simpler to allow the section to be collapsible? This way people could get it out of the way if they felt like it...

Matthew K.

Another great idea. Thanks.

Arantor

I know you're fond of the shortened cat_bar plus the bottom half of the roundframe style that SimpleDesk used very heavily, but there are plenty of custom themes that it doesn't work properly with, and ideally you probably should use the conventional styling...
Holder of controversial views, all of which my own.

Matthew K.

Ha, I started using "integrated" cat_bar's WAY before SimpleDesk, for the record.

Arantor

I call BS. That cat_bar style was only introduced in November 2009 with 2.0 RC2, the code that formed SD's styling was written in December and absorbed into SD in January 2010.

How exactly did you manage to use it 'way before SimpleDesk' then?

Matthew K.

Before SimpleDesk was released and before I saw it.

Arantor

Ah, so while SD was being developed, then. Speaking of SD, fixed any bugs lately? Actually fixed the bug you introduced 18 months ago, because you didn't read the comment in the very line before your change, the one telling you not to do what you told it to?

Anyway, comment still stands. A lot of custom themes are compromised by this style and it shouldn't be used.

Gryzor

Really, is this the place for a dev flame?

Matthew K.

Yeah, most likely. I'd have to look back at when I started using it and then cross-reference that date, but it's really not worth arguing over to me.

As I said in the other topic, I was actually planning on clearing the tracker and completing the search component that you were almost done with. Until your post came out of nowhere, attacking me.

ApplianceJunk

Nice, but other then the forum owner do visitors/members even care about such stats?

Arantor

Quote from: Gryzor on January 04, 2013, 01:22:54 PM
Really, is this the place for a dev flame?

It wasn't, but it became one. The style used in this mod shouldn't be used, simple as that, and the first place it was publicly used was in SimpleDesk, 3 years ago.

QuoteAs I said in the other topic, I was actually planning on clearing the tracker and completing the search component that you were almost done with. Until your post came out of nowhere, attacking me.

*shrug* Most of those issues have been around for a year or more, why worry about fixing them now? If you want to fix them, go fix them, because no-one else is in any rush to do so.

Gryzor

Not sure what you mean by "style", but unless the dev copied proprietary code or you're an advocate of Apple's "we have patended round corners" I'm not sure what the problem is. In any case, I still think this is not the place to discuss it. This is the support topic for the mod, no?

@ApplianceJunk: I think the "latest users" is not of much interest, though it does have some. The "latest posts" is, strangely, used by some users, while the top posters column is a nice incentive...

Advertisement: