Help needed forums seems slow after converting over

Started by coldthunder, September 15, 2005, 10:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldthunder

Hello, i switched over from phpbb to this smf version, since i did that (im still in the process of learning everything so no one is on the new smf version yet) my forum seems slows, seems page refreshes seems slower than when i was in phpbb and im not sure what is causing it. I saw in here the status.php file and uploaded it and these are the setting is go. Can someone please tell me if they can see why my forum is slow? one thing i did notice on this status reply is this one which seemed way to high but not sure what it was
Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)  464.0898 (should be <= 80)  

Here is what i see with status.php
Connections per second:  0.8411  
Kilobytes received per second:  2.6855  
Kilobytes sent per second:  1.1412  
Queries per second:  18.7227  
Percentage of slow queries:  0  
Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)  464.0898 (should be <= 80)  
Table cache usage:
(table_cache)  1 (should be >= 0.5 and <= 0.9)  
Key buffer read hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)  0.0041 (should be <= 0.01)  
Key buffer write hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)  0.1379 (should be <= 0.5)  
Thread cache hit rate:
(thread_cache_size)  0.0027 (should be <= 0.05)  
Thread cache usage:
(thread_cache_size)  0.25 (should be >= 0.8 and <= 0.9)  
Temporary table disk usage:
(tmp_table_size)  0.1338 (should be <= 0.5)  
Sort merge pass rate:
(sort_buffer)  0 (should be <= 0.001)  
Query cache enabled:
(query_cache_type)  1 (should be >= 1 and <= 1)  
Query cache miss rate:
(query_cache_limit)  0.0866 (should be <= 0.1)  
Query cache prune rate:
(query_cache_size)  0.1184 (should be <= 0.05)  

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

[Unknown]

Can you post a link to the forum itself, please?

-[Unknown]

[Unknown]

Hmm, the site in general seems a bit sluggish for me.

Is this a dedicated server, or similar?  If I tell you what to change, you will either need root access, or your host will have to make the changes.

I see a few things that can be improved, but I'm not seeing the memory usage information.  That probably means an old status.php.  Can you try the one attached to this post?

-[Unknown]

coldthunder

ok i put the new status.php out there. I believe this is a shared server, from ipowerweb.com. Not sure what kind of root status i need but if you can tell me what needs to be done i will forward it to their support if i can't do it. Thanks for your help in this.

[Unknown]

Strange, still no memory usage.  Must be safe_mode, or similar.

The table_cache could probably be 512 and improve things a lot.  Can't tell you exactly how much, and this depends on free memory/swap usage, which I can't see either.

The query cache is a little small and underused.

Otherwise, that looks okay.  I doubt they have an accelerator installed, though.

I know your forum is in maintenace mode, but would it be possible to turn that off for a short period, just so I can see what is slow?

-[Unknown]

coldthunder

yes, im in meetings all day but later in afternoon i will post that it is open so you can get in, it may also be soemthign i done, i installed the shotubox mod and it was working but i didnt like where it was at and how it looked , so i copied some table features out of the boardindex.template.php file and stuck the shoutbox code into this altered table to make the shoutbox incorporate and look nice on my site and maybe that code made it slower. The code i stuck in was:

"echo'
<div class="tborder" style="margin-bottom: 2ex;">
        <table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="4">
                <tr class="titlebg" align="center">
                        <td>Shoutbox</td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                        <td valign="middle" align="center" height="60">';
                  if (function_exists('smfshout'))
                  smfshout();

echo'
                        </td>
                </tr>
        </table>
</div>'; "

It sure made it look nice lol, but not sure if that caused it to slow down or seem sluggish, will let you nkow when i take it out of main mode. Thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated.

thanks

coldthunder

Are you available now for me to take it out maintenance mode? needs an account can i pm you a test account

Thunderace

These guys are v busy Coldthunder, I doubt they'll be able to react to a "slot in time" however I'm sure you'll get support asap.

coldthunder

yea i know i will catch them tonight , theyhave been very helpfuls

Advertisement: