News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I need help with silent spammers!

Started by K33NY, April 04, 2013, 05:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K33NY

Hello

So recently we noticed on our website that we suddenly loads of people registered, running a multigaming clan I thought my recruiters had found players that they wanted to join us, but I couldnt understand why all of them never ever posted anything. And more and more just registered.

I checked their profile informations and on every single one of them the pattern where the same:

On personal text they allways introduce themselves with a "real" name and; nothing more to say realy im from blablabla

And on signature they ALLWAYS type in some commercial link...

I am getting so tired of having to delete/ban so many every single day now and would be VERY glad if there is a way to stop this.

Mr. Pedram

My Modifications:
» Loading For SMF
» Buddies Block
» Redirect Links
» Birthdate On Registration
» PM Warning
» Instagram
» Add Table,Td,Tr Button
» Search Topic & Board Button
Browse All...

Ricky.

You may need Q/A in Antispam settings, you may also install extra permission mod so that only members with say 10 posts can set signature. You can also install some mods like stop forum spam / forum firewall.

See http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=19;approved=1

K33NY

Quote from: Mr. Pedram on April 04, 2013, 06:03:03 AM
Do you using any Anti-Spam MOD?

Yes we have 1 that needs a registering members to have to answer 3 security questions.
And to be able to post on forum they have to do this 3 times.

We allso have the same for registering and allso we have the website registered to stopforumspam.com and have the mod for it installed as well.

K33NY

Quote from: Ricky. on April 04, 2013, 06:04:24 AM
You may need Q/A in Antispam settings, you may also install extra permission mod so that only members with say 10 posts can set signature. You can also install some mods like stop forum spam / forum firewall.

See http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=19;approved=1

I will try that but it would be even better if they couldnt be able to signup to forum at all, that is my problem here, they sign up in bunch of people everyday....... O think in 4 days my banlist has 3 full pages.

Mr. Pedram

If you have a pro captcha MOD, like reCaptcha plus security questions the won't to register again!
Meanwhile you should delete them manually. be sure they never comeback.
My Modifications:
» Loading For SMF
» Buddies Block
» Redirect Links
» Birthdate On Registration
» PM Warning
» Instagram
» Add Table,Td,Tr Button
» Search Topic & Board Button
Browse All...

Kindred

reCAPTCHA is useless.  the spammers broken that routine a long time ago.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Category:Spam_FAQ
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ziycon

Hi K33NY,

With the challenge questions you can set, make sure that the question is as specific as possible to your site/forum content as possible so maybe as what the initials of you site stand for or as the user to enter the initials of your site name, the more specific the better.

K33NY

Quote from: ziycon on April 04, 2013, 07:58:38 AM
Hi K33NY,

With the challenge questions you can set, make sure that the question is as specific as possible to your site/forum content as possible so maybe as what the initials of you site stand for or as the user to enter the initials of your site name, the more specific the better.

Ok I tried changin the security question upon registration to more forum/clan related questions, hope this is gone help.

xrunner

Quote from: K33NY on April 04, 2013, 09:09:26 AM
Quote from: ziycon on April 04, 2013, 07:58:38 AM
Hi K33NY,

Ok I tried changin the security question upon registration to more forum/clan related questions, hope this is gone help.

This question I made up did wonders for me (none of it is true but the spammers don't know that) -

You can't post ANYTHING or use your account until an Admin approves your account based on spam databases and heuristic screening criteria - you will not be registered until this approval is complete - if you still wish to apply enter "notspammer" without the quotes in the box

Kindred

xrunner...   the spammer don't even read it.  :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

xrunner

Quote from: Kindred on April 04, 2013, 09:30:27 AM
xrunner...   the spammer don't even read it.  :P

Then why does it work?

Kindred

because it is a sufficiently complicated sentence that their auto-processors or the non-english spammers don't quite understand what they are supposed to do.

I guarantee you, they don't read it, and if they did, they don't care what you say.
Слaва
Украинi

xrunner

Quote from: Kindred on April 04, 2013, 09:34:32 AM
because it is a sufficiently complicated sentence that their auto-processors or the non-english spammers don't quite understand what they are supposed to do.

I guarantee you, they don't read it, and if they did, they don't care what you say.

OK, but as long as it works, it works.

xrunner

Edit: I posting a new topic to discuss how these questions work, because I'm curious.

Deaks

k33ny, did the suggestions help?   I have marked this as solved as you have not replied in a wee while.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

karde

My forum is fully moderated, it had to, we can't watch the forum 24 hours however moderation making it even more difficult to gain posters..
come and join us on UK jobseekers [nofollow] forums.

Kindred

karde,

did you read the spam FAQ?
Did you try to install any of the mods listed there?

I have a forum that stops 500+ spammers a day - and they enevr make it through registration.
In the past year, we have not had to moderate or delete a single spam user/post.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: