News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Fatal Error

Started by rferris, April 12, 2013, 11:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rferris

I now get the following message when I visit the page:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: stripos() in /home/WP-LC/wp-lc.php on line 2

Everything was working fine earlier today. I uninstalled and re-installed the program and continue to get the same error message.

TheListener

Can we have more information please.

Is this in relation to a mod?

Link to forum?

rferris

It is version 2.04. My webhosting company (lunarpages) has a program that installs various applications automatically (Softaculous Auto Installer).  I installed the program years ago and the only problem I have ever encountered was an occasional database error. I have always applied the latest patches to keep it current.

Everything was working fine until this morning when I got that fatal error. I renamed the directory it was in from hxxp:myheritagepines.com/discussionboard [nonactive] to hxxp:myheritagepines.com/discussionboardbackup [nonactive] and did a clean install again using Softaculous. It is in the same directory as I had it originally: hxxp:myheritagepines.com/discussionboard [nonactive]. I am still getting the same error message after it was re-installed. No mods were applied recently.

Edited to make post easier to read.

Arantor

That would be because you're using a very very old version of PHP on your server, that's now several years out of date - stripos was introduced in PHP 5.0 which launched in 2004.

It sounds like your host is using PHP 4.4.x which went end of life in 2007 and you should get your host to upgrade.

Also, if you're using SMF 2.0.4, please post in the 2.x support board next time, thanks.

rferris

MrPhil

LP should be at 5.3 on all its servers, but it wouldn't hurt to check the PHP level.

LP is currently reporting that its servers are under a brute force attack against WordPress sites. Maybe you're seeing a side-effect of that.

Arantor

QuoteLP should be at 5.3 on all its servers, but it wouldn't hurt to check the PHP level.

All evidence suggests it isn't. Unless they have some reason to disable stripos from being executable.

MrPhil

Perhaps it is a side effect of trying to foil the WP attack? They stated some months ago that all shared servers were now up to PHP 5.3, so unless a server got regressed somehow, it should be at 5.3.

Arantor

No. If they had actually blocked it in the functional exclusion list, it should be a different error.

The error is saying stripos is not defined, which suggests a 4.4.x installation, not a 5.x one.

MrPhil

What's in your php.ini? Is there anything in there that might have switched you back to PHP 4? I think most of the LP servers still have PHP 4 available with a switch. If it's not in php.ini, look in .htaccess and look in your control panel (cPanel, LPCP, etc.). Renaming directories and uninstalling and reinstalling sounds like an invitation to put in an old .htaccess or php.ini file.

philwojo

I know this is an old topic, and it is in the wrong place as well, but do you know if there was ever a fix?  I am also on Lunar Pages for my host and I am also getting this error.

I run a forum for someone and it is not very visited, but I just tried to go to it today and I am receiving this same message.

Any suggestions on what I can do, short of doing a full re-install of SMF?

Phil

Arantor

You have the *exact* same error? WP-LC is a WordPress file not an SMF one...

And as I said, if you're seeing issues with stripos not being defined, you have a very old, outdated, insecure version of PHP and should upgrade. If your host is unwilling or unable to use a version of PHP that isn't 6 years old, you should find a new host.

philwojo

Here is the exact error I am getting:

Call to undefined function: stripos() in /home/WP-LC/wp-lc.php on line 2

And here are the contents of my php.ini file on my server:

register_globals = Off

zend_extension="/usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_4.4.so"
zend_extension_ts="/usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_4.4_ts.so"

[Zend]
zend_optimizer.optimization_level=15
zend_extension_manager.optimizer=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer-3.3.3
zend_extension_manager.optimizer_ts=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer_TS-3.3.3
zend_optimizer.version=3.3.3

zend_extension=/usr/local/Zend/lib/ZendExtensionManager.so
zend_extension_ts=/usr/local/Zend/lib/ZendExtensionManager_TS.so

upload_max_filesize = 99999999G ;Max file size that can be uploaded.
post_max_size = 999999G ;Max size of messages and files that can be posted by PHP in Meg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If I do need to contact my host, what should I ask or say to them?

MrPhil

Dunno about those upload_max_filesize and post_max_size settings -- they could be causing problems somewhere (hopefully they just get cut back to the maximum LP will support).

How about your /.htaccess file (and any other .htaccess files)? Are they specifying PHP4 usage? I don't know ioncube's versions and how they correlate with PHP's version, but "4.4" would certainly be suspicious that PHP might be 4.4.9.

philwojo

Nothing in the .htaccess file, just a timezone setting, nothing else.

I have a ticket open with LP now to see what they say can fix this or how they will fix it.  I appreciate any other feedback though in the mean time.  I will post back when I hear from them.

phil

Arantor

Nothing's changed, you're still using PHP 4.4.x or older (stripos was added in PHP 5.0.0) and unless your host changes that, it can't be fixed.

It's not an SMF error, though... nothing to do with SMF at all (since SMF actually provides compatibility code for a lack of stripos just in case), it's a problem with WordPress and your very poorly configured hosting company.

philwojo

Thanks for the help, the finally got back to me on my ticket and I was using 4.4.x and just had to do a manual update to make my site use 5.x.x, which it now is.  As soon as I did that my link worked just fine, as you said it would.

To change it i had to go in to my cpanel and then to phpconfiguration.  From there it was just a drop down to choose php 5.x.x and then hit an "update" button.  It took all of like 3 seconds to do, just had no idea I ever needed to do it or had to do it.

Again, thanks for the feedback and help.

Phil

Kindred

check which version of 5 you actually are running now... It makes a difference.

5.3.x and 5.4.x are fully supported.
There are known issues with running SMF on 5.5.x which are not yet resolved.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I don't think that matters much seeing how it's a WordPress install acting up...

Advertisement: