[FREE] Read new messages not already read by another moderator

Started by danielwmoore, May 10, 2013, 09:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielwmoore

This is not something I can pay for, as I am broke, and don't generate revenue from my forum.  However, I think this is a "common sense" mod, and I don't know why it hasn't already been done.

Version
SMF 2.04

Description
This would be a modification for a moderator (or a member of a specified member group or groups) to have a new option to read new messages, where they retrieve a list of messages not already read by another moderator, admin, or member of one of the specified groups. 

Permissions
Permissions to access this feature should be assigned by member group.  It should be able to "disable" using this feature for Admins, as some admins may not want to "moderate" the board. 

Feature Set
1. "Read post that are unread by moderator" link next to or below "Read Unread Posts".
2. As messages are marked read for the reader, they are marked as "group read", to keep multiple moderators from having to read the same posts again.

Discussion
This really seems to be a "common sense" approach for forums that have multiple moderators that are responsible for the entire site.  How do you determine if it has already been read by another moderator?  Having to read every single post every time can lead to moderator burn out.  I have lost several good moderators that I had for years, and could have kept if I had such a mod as this one that I am requesting.  I am sure there are others out there in the same boat. 

Arantor

The problem with doing it is the *massive* performance issues in doing it. You have to not only figure out the things that you haven't read, but then figure out out of those which have been read by other people - the load scales approximately linearly with the number of groups of users involved.

Far better would be to just allocate moderators to individual boards so that instead of having to read every post in the forum, they only need to worry about the board(s) they look after (and generally you wouldn't need to overlap so much)

danielwmoore

I understand what you mean by the performance issues.  That makes sense on a large, active board.  But on smaller communities, I think it would be viable.  I only have 3 moderators, and assigning to individual boards really isn't an option, as they tend to rotate out being available at times. 

I'll see what I can do on my forum to make something work, as far as policies go.  If this would cause performance issues for many boards, then it simply isn't worth making a mod for it for the few people who have the small boards. 

Let's just kick this into the "decided against it" category and move on...  You're welcome to lock the topic.

Chalky

Thinking a little bit sideways... how about the "Topic View Log" mod?  Moderators could simply click on the log for each topic to see whether another moderator has already read that topic and when, then decide for themselves whether they want to read it or not.  In fact that might be better because of the "when" - it's no good topics not showing up as new to a moderator just because another moderator viewed it three weeks ago.  The topic log can be viewed from the topic list inside the board so that moderators can view the log without the log registering them as viewing the topic.

danielwmoore

Thanks, ChalkCat!  That Topic View Log sounds like it will fit the bill well enough. 

Consider this topic solved.

Chalky

Advertisement: