News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to change the colour of the stars?

Started by XProtocol, August 17, 2013, 10:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XProtocol

I want to change the color of the star to purple (Star which is below our name defining our position). I'm not able to change the color in photoshop cause whenever I choose paint bucket tool and choose purple (or any color) and click on it, color changed to light blue or anything else. I want to know how you guys do it. 

Here the star image I want to edit.

Arantor

In Photoshop you have to change the format of the image first - the images are all 256 colour GIF images. I don't know, off hand, how you'd do that since I don't own Photoshop.

The reason it doesn't change the way you want is because there's only a maximum possible 256 colours in a GIF file and Photoshop won't change the palette like that.

ARG01

That image is currently indexed. You will have to change it to RGB mode. Then try Desaturate and add a basic color overlay with Blend Mode set at "Overlay"
If that is too difficult then just create a new image. I mean, you do have Photoshop so creating a new image of your color should be quite easy.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

ARG01

Yes, a basic Hue/Saturation adjustment will work just as well.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

kat

For something so small, you don't need fancy shop crud. ;)

Irfanview's free, but it's worth having. :)

XProtocol

Thanks but how did you guys made it? I'm kinda newbie to all this. :)

kat

I just used an old, free program called "Image Forge" to change the colour.

You could probably do that in MS Paint, to be honest.

ARG01

Quote from: XProtocol on August 17, 2013, 11:47:31 AM
Thanks but how did you guys made it? I'm kinda newbie to all this. :)

Quotea basic Hue/Saturation adjustment will work just as well

In Photoshop: Image> Adjustments> Hue/Saturation.  ;)

kat

Just did the same with Irfanview and that did the same.

Yay!@freebies! :)

XProtocol

A big thanks guys, you all are very helpful. :)

ARG01

Quote from: K@ on August 17, 2013, 12:25:29 PM
Just did the same with Irfanview and that did the same.

Yay!@freebies! :)

I noticed that you cant help but push the freebies. That's all good but I do believe that the OP's original post mentions the use of Photoshop. That is why I was giving advise for using PS.  ;)

Arantor

I can't help but think there is something suspicious about the OP's mention of Photoshop. I find it hard to believe that anyone would legally obtain it at the normal price and not know how to do something that is, after all, fairly basic out of its functions.

Not all of us have the resources to spend thousands of dollars on a tool that we wouldn't use much if at all and in that case free tools are vastly superior.

kat

Quote from: ARG on August 17, 2013, 01:22:31 PMI noticed that you cant help but push the freebies. That's all good but I do believe that the OP's original post mentions the use of Photoshop. That is why I was giving advise for using PS.  ;)

Oh, no criticism intended. I was just thinking "Sledgehammer to crack a nut", in the hope that XProtocol would see that there may be easier ways of doing things.

In many cases, the simplest way's the best. :)

I had Photoshop, for a while, Arantor. I deleted it, in the end, coz I found other programs easier to use, for what I wanted to do. Maybe he's just got it and wants to try things out?

Chalky

FWIW I downloaded Photoshop 2 a few months ago when it was free from Adobe's own site and I haven't a clue how to use it......

Tony Reid

@arantor Photoshop is subscription based now.... although must say I use pixelmator

Tony Reid

ARG01

Quote from: Tony Reid on August 17, 2013, 01:36:50 PM
@arantor Photoshop is subscription based now.... although must say I use pixelmator

I wish they had done that years ago. Or at least before I upgraded to the CS6 Master Suite.  :D

Arantor

Sure it's subscription based but I still think $40/month is more than most people would want to pay...

kat

Oddly enough, I read this, yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23714699

which lead me to this:

http://www.fotor.com

It seems rather good...

Advertisement: