News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

option to open links in same window -- wishlist/feature request

Started by brynn, August 26, 2013, 04:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
This may be something that's discussed all the time.  But I searched and only found this old topic:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=23661.0 in Applied or Declined Requests.  It's not clear whether it's applied or declined.  The reason it's not clear to me, is that in SMF 2.0.5 all links open in a new window.  So maybe the concept was declined.  There is an offered solution (iurl tags) which perhaps indicates it's been applied.  But that solution depends on the forum member knowing about it, and knowing how to use tags in the first place.i

It annoys me to no end that all links in a message are opened in a new window.  I'd like to request an option for both the admin level and user level.  The admin has the following options for the forum's default behavior:

-- all links open in a new window
-- links to the same site open in same window, and links to outside sites/domains opens in new window
-- all links open in same window

I'm thinking they would go in Features and Options, although I might not be the best one to decide about that part.

And the user could use the forum's default behavior, or choose his/her own option (from the same 3 options).  This would be in the users profile/account settings (I'm thinking Look and Layout).

Please note that I know very little about coding and software development.  I have no idea how hard or easy it might be to do this.  So it's just a request.

To me, it seems like these should be options for all forums.  But if there is some reason why it would work better as a mod, and that mod would work in my forum (which will probably always be the current version), I'd be happy with that as well.

Thanks for listening.  Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

All best  :)

Mick.

There is a mod for that. All internal links open in same window. All outgoing links open in new.

brynn

Is this the one you mean?  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=980

"This is an outdated mod that is no longer supported by its author. Use at your own risk"

If it were supported and worked in my forum, it would be a nice start.  But it doesn't appear to offer more than 1 option.

To be honest, I don't know why SMF is made so that all links open in a new window.  I don't know anywhere else that happens!  Does anyone know why?  It seems like it must have taken a lot of work, which would imply there's some reason for it.  I just don't understand, because if you want a link to open in a new window, you can use a key shortcut.  I don't know what it is, but you can open a link in a new tab by holding Ctrl key while you click.  Why does it need to be hardcoded into the program when there's such a simple technique already?

kat

The odd thing is, I use 2.0.5, this site's 2.0.5 and all links open in the current tab/window, unless I click with the mousewheel.

Maybe your mouse settings are odd, or your browser's settings?

Mick.

I think this is standard on SMF. Even here if you click say a moved topic, it open a new window.

@brynn, use the parser of that mod for the current SMF version. It will show the edits you need to do to your actual SMF installation.

kat

Odd. Maybe it's a browser thing?

I'm using Opera and every single link, here, opens in the same tab, for me.

Mick.

It's possible ya know? I use chrome now, before Firefox and still does it.

Not anymore since I use that mod.

kat

I was gonna suggest the ol' target="_blank" thing. But, what we need, here, is the exact opposite, of that, innit? :P

With Firefox, you can use the "tabmix" extension, to configure this kinda stuff.

Mick.

That's the thing, by default SMF opens a new window when the user clicks on a internal link. That's why such mod was made. That's something I never like about our software.

Illori

if you were to use iurl tags for internal links it would not open in a new tab, but most people dont use them.

brynn

I'm on Firefox and every single link (in a message) opens in a new tab (or new window, depending on my browser setting).  The only settings I can find switch from opening a new window or a new tab.  I have no option for opening in the same window.  I use a touchpad mouse, so I don't have the wheel functionality.  Or at least it's not quite the same functionality.  In any case, I can't control whether it opens in a new window or not with my mouse.

Quote from: Mick. on August 26, 2013, 04:56:15 PM
@brynn, use the parser of that mod for the current SMF version. It will show the edits you need to do to your actual SMF installation.
Unfortunately, I'm quite the newb as a forum admin.  I don't know what a parser is and I don't know how to install manually.  And even if you could give me step by step instructions, my host tends to scold me for installing outdated mods  ::)

Even if there's no way to have links open in the same window, I still would be interested to know why SMF was made this way.  Or why it works this way, if it's not the program itself.

kat

I wonder why it's so different, for me, then, Mick?

I just tried Waterfox (Firefox on steroids) and (SPIT!) IE10.

ALL links open in the same tab, for me.

Mick.

Quote from: Illori on August 26, 2013, 05:11:47 PM
if you were to use iurl tags for internal links it would not open in a new tab, but most people dont use them.
exactly. A mod was made.

If the URL contains the ' ,$scripturl, ' it shouldn't (hopeful) open a new window.
Maybe this can be changed? In future?

Mick.

We use SSI here right? Why if I click something outside of SMF (SMF related link) opens in a new window?

Should be same browser page. Everything else non SMF related link should open on a new window.

Illori

anyone can submit a PR on github, but can not use the same code as that mod due to the lack of license on the mod.

brynn

Lucky you, K@!

If I could make it so I myself could avoid the new windows, again, that would be a start.  But that only fixes for me, not for all my members.  I think admins should have choices for default forum behavior.  And then members can use that default, or choose their own options.

Arantor

OK, let's sort this tangle out.

1. Why does SMF do it? SMF has always done it, for the reason that if you're putting links in, you're almost always linking off site and if you're doing that, you kind of don't want people to leave your site, you want them to go offsite but be trivially able to come back again. This is by design.

2. If you want internal links, use the iurl bbcode instead of the url bbcode. This is for 'internal URL' and won't link to a new tab/window. Again, entirely by design.

3. None of this behaviour is new. SMF has done it for 10 years.

4. It's always been up for debate as to what the 'proper' behaviour is and all the camps are pretty vocal about it, and the best compromise thus far has been to leave it as is, because you're given the option as to which you want out of the box.

Mick.

Quote from: brynn on August 26, 2013, 05:22:19 PM
Lucky you, K@!

If I could make it so I myself could avoid the new windows, again, that would be a start.  But that's only for me, not for all my members.
its not you. That's why the mod was made.

Mick.

Quote from: Arantor on August 26, 2013, 05:24:03 PM
OK, let's sort this tangle out.

1. Why does SMF do it? SMF has always done it, for the reason that if you're putting links in, you're almost always linking off site and if you're doing that, you kind of don't want people to leave your site, you want them to go offsite but be trivially able to come back again. This is by design.

2. If you want internal links, use the iurl bbcode instead of the url bbcode. This is for 'internal URL' and won't link to a new tab/window. Again, entirely by design.

3. None of this behaviour is new. SMF has done it for 10 years.

4. It's always been up for debate as to what the 'proper' behaviour is and all the camps are pretty vocal about it, and the best compromise thus far has been to leave it as is, because you're given the option as to which you want out of the box.
exactly. Like illori said, people don't use it.

Mick.

I'm looking at the post legend, and I don't see the iurl tag.

Advertisement: