News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problem after mod re-install - possibly not writing to files correctly.

Started by kitz, August 29, 2013, 09:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitz

Hoping someone can help.

I have a couple of mods thats Ive been having problems with
1) Tapatalk causing lots of errors in the logs
2) Stop Spammer suddenly seemed to stop working properly and wasnt connecting to the SFS database (post)

I decided to uninstall the mods and apply fixes & clean install of mods.
Uninstall via the package manager seemed to go ok without problems.

Then I noticed that there were still remnants of Stop Spammer in certain places generating errors.
Checking the files that I noticed the package uninstall hadnt deleted everything it should have in the relevant files. 
No problem..  I can put these files back from backup me thinks. 

Everything seems ok, Uninstall Tapatalk & Stop Spammer.

Everything seems ok again, no error messages.   
Re-install Stop Spammer which appeared to go fine, no error messages during the install.   

But it hasnt.. I cant get to the StopSpammer CP and the logs are generating lots of errors like

http://forum.xxxx.co.uk/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=StopSpammer_v2_3_9.zip;pid=0
Apply
2: fopen(public_html/forum/Themes/core/images/icons/spammer.gif) failed to open stream: No such file or directory
File: ......./public_html/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2530

If I look at StopSpammer in the package manager to uninstall I see rows of "Test Failed".

I cant understand whats going on.. its almost as if during installs/uninstalls the package installer isnt writing to the files.   Yet Files are chmod 0755

Forum is now offline because things are still broken, and Ive lost track of my backup files. :(
I can put things back to a clean state before any StopSpammer files were written, but not sure what effect that will now have on the package manager which seems to think its installed correctly... until you come to uninstall it that is :/

kitz

OK I gave up and needed to get the site back online

Ive replaced files from backup,  so there should now be no trace of any of the modifications made by StopSpammer in any of the pages that it edits.

... apart from its still showing in package manager as per the  image in my post above and package manager throws an error

http://forum.xxxx.co.uk/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=uninstall;package=StopSpammer_v2_3_9.zip;pid=13
8: Undefined variable: entryname
File: xxxx.co.uk/public_html/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1571

Any idea which files I now need to edit please?

Storman™

QuoteStop Spammer suddenly seemed to stop working properly and wasnt connecting to the SFS database

Fraid there was no need to remove StopSpammer, there was an issue on the SFS side, think they were undertaking some sort of maintenance which is why it wasn't connecting.

IMO StopSpammer is a great a good mod, think you might regret removing it.   ???

kitz

Cheers Storman.   Ive used StopSpammer since it very first began, it wasnt meant to be a permanent install.

>>> there was an issue on the SFS side,

I know the whole site went down a couple of days ago due to HDD failure. 
Unfortunately the mod hasnt worked since 15th July for me..  and since no-one else in the other thread I linked to seemed to be seeing the same thing, I thought Id try a re-install.

>>>>  think you might regret removing it.

Oh my don't I just...  not for the reasons you meant  ;D ;D

Its always been my intention to put it back on...  and you will see in my post that I did do...  which is when things broke.

------
I really need to know now how to clear it out of package manager, so that I can try a fresh install.

Storman™

What happens if you hit the delete button (not uninstall) next to the mod. Does it throw that error ?

kitz

Quote from: Storman™ on August 30, 2013, 03:57:22 AM
What happens if you hit the delete button (not uninstall) next to the mod. Does it throw that error ?

Are you sure you want to delete this,  as you wont be able to un-install this at a later point.

oh so simples!!

Thank you. :)

Now need to  install again.. but that can wait until later as I really need sleep..  hoping that the install goes ok.. if not I'll probably be back 

Illori

if you delete a mod it does NOT uninstall it, you should NEVER delete a mod package before you have made sure it is completely uninstalled.

Storman™

He's already uninstalled it by replacing it with the backup files so not an issue.

Illori

the backup may have been after the mod was installed, if so then it would still be installed now.

Storman™

Stop scarring the punters ..... you're going to give the poor guy a heart attack  !

Illori

kitz

I was really tired this morning after having tried to fix it all nite and get the forums up and running again.
This gal already had the heart-attack when the forums broke and it was offline for the longest its ever been.

I didnt notice 1.    Stop Spammer    2.3.9 still appears in the View and Remove Installed Packages Tab :(

Obviously if I click 'uninstall'  it says "An Error Has Occurred!"

Any suggestions now please?

kitz

PS...  This seems to have occurred because even though the original un-install appeared to go correctly according to SMF, but I dont think it removed the relevant lines of code properly from the files. 
Ive checked and all the relevant files are chmod 755...  and just to rule out another issue I found whilst trying to search -  I have contacted my hosts who advise me its not a CHOWN issue and I should be able to set my own permissions.

Storman™

All getting a bit confusing as to where you are now.   :o

If you want to pm me a login to your SMF backend I'd be happy to take a quick look just for clarity.

(it might be quicker   ;)  )

kitz

Hi Thank you for that kind offer. I shall PM you.

To update you.. Ive since uploaded a fresh version of StopSpammer_v2_3_9.zip wanting to install it.

That is now wont install because SMF thinks its already installed and wants to uninstall it.   
I shall leave the zip file in place, but feel free to delete it if you want.

kitz

Ive just had a thought...  since Ive re-uploaded the file StopSpammer_v2_3_9.zip, this is what I see in the CP  (see screen cap below)
Every single test failed relates to either a delete file or mostly Find and Replace code.

So the reason its failing now is because those lines of code arent there due to me replacing relevant files from backup.

What would happen if I ran the "uninstall"..  obviously it cant delete files that arent there.  What Im not sure about is how it would deal with code that it cant find to replace.  IF it simply skips over files it cant modify, would the package manager CP think its uninstalled it?

Then Id be able to start again with a fresh install of stopspammer?

kitz

Id like to thank Storman for all his help in this matter.   His time and assistance was most appreciated.

Unfortunately I still havent quite got to the bottom of this and I will be contacting my hosts....   and at least I know that it wasnt me doing anything too stupid :)

Advertisement: