News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to Add Link (URL) to Forum's Menu?

Started by Shepherd Jim, October 16, 2013, 12:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepherd Jim

Hi All --
I'm using:

• SMF 2.0.5
  • theme: DarkModern by Crip
I have my SMF forum set up as "page" on my WordPress-powered website and that works perfectly: a user clicks on "Forum" on the header's menubar and seamlessly goes to the SMF forum.

Problem: I would like to offer a link back to the website from the forum's menu. I would like to add "Return to Website" or some such to the forum's menu standard items: Home, Help, Search, Logon, Register

How do I add a new item/URL to the menu?

Thanks for the help!
Jim

Shepherd Jim

Okay BurkeKnight!

Thank you for that link! It wasn't a cakewalk but I have managed to add a "button" to our forum's menu bar.

You can see my handywork at hxxp:maineshootersforum.com/SMFor/index.php [nonactive] where the button reading "Return to Website" has been inserted.

I'm a WordPress person, but must admit that it's been a few years since I had to climb around inside a php file and make changes. I probably spent more time figuring out how to remove the "sub menu" item(s) which insisted on appearing when I hovered my mouse over the button.

Here's what I inserted into the file Subs.php
// BEGIN the EC3 mod follow
'menu_action' => array(
'title' => 'Return to Website',
'href' => "http://maineshootersforum.com/",
'show' => true,
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
),
// END the EC3 mod

QUESTION: Will I need to go in and re-do this modification every time the SMF software is updated?

Thanks again! I'm SURE I will be back here soon!   ::)   :-[
Jim

Kindred

well, for convention's sake, you should use single quotes around the http url...   that is what SMF uses throughout.

subversion/security updates - no, if you apply the patch files, you won't have to re-apply changes
jversion upgrades (i.e. 2.1 or 3.0) yes... you would have to re-do your edits
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: