Discus 4.1 to SMF Conversion

Started by Randem, November 07, 2013, 12:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randem

I am just about finished with a Discus 4.0 to SMF 2.0 converter. It is mostly a manual procedure (phpMyAdmin Importing to SMF database) but it gets the job done. It is written in VB6 and you will need to download some of your board to make the conversion, but hey "You don't have any other options" Yes, I checked ;D. I will give complete instructions on the process. The instruction will tell you which files and folders to download (FTP) and which files not to download (since the converter will not do attachments as of yet). If you are interested in the converter just let me know and I will make it available for you to test with your Discus board.
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Randem

OK, the conversion is going well. It now does attachments and images and will reorder all Discus post to first to last to fit with SMF formats. the process will operate off-line for most databases are not allow to be accessed outside of the host. the process is very simple to upload the CSV files to the database using phpMyAdmin and attachment and image files via FTP.

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Kindred

Why don't you make it available here on SimpleMachines.org so we can review and approve the converter (and comment here) rather than sending people off to another site?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Randem

Quote from: Kindred on November 11, 2013, 12:33:01 PM
Why don't you make it available here on SimpleMachines.org so we can review and approve the converter (and comment here) rather than sending people off to another site?

Where exactly did you read that people had to go to another site for the converter?
No one has even expressed any interest at all...

Randem

Finished with the Discusware 4.0 to SMF (simplemachines) converter. It does everything except for the password conversions. I haven't completed the documentation yet but it will convert large Discusware boards with no problems. It will convert all topics, subtopics, posts, usernames, post counts AND attachments. A default SMF admin will need to be created and updated manually but that is a simple task using phpMyAdmin. Formatting of some post will need to be done manually if the post contained special formatting it will be removed. All the output will be comma delimited files that can be directly imported to your SMF database using phpMyAdmin.

Randem

Here is the converter and the documentation for it.

Discus 4.10 to SMF Converter
Discusware 4.10 to SMF Converter Documentation

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Randem

Modifications: Version 1.0.1

Update to put users into member groups according to member posts.

Original download post updated.

Randem

Modifications: Version 1.0.2

Update to maintain formatting of messages and announcements.
Update to put transfer Discus member groups and place members into Discusware member groups

Randem

Modifications: Version 1.0.3

Correct internal links to other pages on Discus board to proper linking on SMF.
Attachments links corrected when sort order was changed on conversion.

Randem

Modifications: Version 1.0.4

Created Notify file for upload to SMF for default admin to be notified on posts to all Boards.

Randem

Modifications: Version 1.0.5

Created Discusware message folder that contains all files that will redirect your traffic to the new SMF board. Just replace the original Discusware folder with this one and all traffic from old site will go to the new site.

Randem

There are still a few Discus boards out there and wanted to let them know that our converter is up to version 2.0 and will handle very large complex Discus boards; even in different languages.

reintoch

Hello Randem,

Yes that's me with a large Discus Pro Site.
Years ago a searched for a way to convert but got the message that it was impossible.
The board is still working very fine.
Put a lot of effort in it. It's a story site with a special layout with a special first page (the story) and comments. And a special search ability

The only real problem (apart that it's not supported anymore) is that Google demands a https site, and that does not work...

I would really like some help. Paid help is fine.

Randem

Aloha reintoch,

Yes, we can convert your Discus Pro board to SMF, it is not impossible. We have converted boards of over 1 million messages in different languages.
You can see more about our conversion here our support board is here. Let me know if we can help.

Advertisement: