News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Oh, and one more thing

Started by Arantor, November 30, 2013, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker™

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 01, 2013, 11:20:17 AM
No, because that would flatter your server to be pushing. It is updated every time you move to a new page, or if you click on the alerts menu, and the menu itself is loaded AJAXively.
Okzz, thanks for the info.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Ricky.

vicram10

nice update, would be very interesting if is added an alert system, when someone mentions you (like @Arantor) on a topic (same as twitter), had already suggested to Suki in Spanish Forum.

Arantor

That was already on my list of alerts.

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Xarcell

I haven't been this excited about SMF in years. I keep checking github for changes everyday. :P

Gargoyle

Quote from: Xarcell on December 02, 2013, 08:43:08 PM
I haven't been this excited about SMF in years. I keep checking github for changes everyday. :P

Same here.... :-)

Paracelsus

Oh boy, Arantor back and on the Dev team!... I've been away too long. Hope to see SMF back on track (meaning frequent releases with solid functionality and modern/innovative well-polished features).

Kindred

"frequent" releases will likely never happen.

We are not paid for what we do. We do this because we enjoy doing it...  but it often takes a back seat to "real life" (as it should)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

"Frequent" is relative. Compared to "One version a decade", "One version every five years" is pretty frequent. ;)

I'm dead against releasing stuff, every so often, just for the Hell of it, myself. Releases for fixes, &c. sure. But, other than those, I only believe new releases are worth doing if there're BIG changes. :)

Arantor

And that's the policy I have.

I know, better than most, how hard it is getting people to have the security upgrades. The conclusion I came to a long time ago is that the best way of getting people to upgrade is to give them a compelling reason to do so - i.e. lots of awesome new things.

Now, I could churn out a new release every 6 months with a few incremental updates but honestly you'd all hate me for it for all the hassle it would cause. So better to have a new release every 12-18 months that's major enough to deal with upgrading mods than one every 6-8 where you find yourself constantly out of step.

Paracelsus

Quote from: Kindred on December 03, 2013, 04:35:42 PM
"frequent" releases will likely never happen.

We are not paid for what we do. We do this because we enjoy doing it...  but it often takes a back seat to "real life" (as it should)

By frequent I mean every 1-2 years. I wouldn't like it to turn to a "mediawiki forced upgrade style" every 6 months or so, but I think it's unquestionable that SMF development has been too slow in the last 5 years. Too many ideas and things started, but too few really finished (at least with high quality and 'polishment'). I think you get what I mean. ;D

kat

I always feel that "forcing" regular updates, for the sake of it, results in bloat, too, which is never a Good ThingTM.

Xarcell

Any chance a "Default Avatar" can be slid in before beta?

Arantor

Xarcell

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 04, 2013, 09:44:55 PM
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/721

Thanks for the link. I see that there is a need for a non-gender default avatar? I whipped up one real quick in illustrator. Attached is the screenshot. If you like, I can try to submit this to Github. Although, I don't know how to use Github and just signed up today.

Questions though, what format? I was thinking PNG with transparent background. Should it have a border? Should be a different color than what I currently have? Where do I deposit the ai file so that others can use/modify it if need be? What dimensions should it be?

Crap, I cannot attach a screenshot of what I'm done so far. OK, I uploaded to my public domain, but it won't stay there long. You can see it HERE.

I don't want to commit too much to it if no one likes it.

Xarcell

Ok, I just looked at the other avatars. I don't think the one I made will fit in, as it's flat and the others are not.

Arantor

I like it, but I'm not sure what other people think. You should be able to upload it to the issue on Github, actually...

Xarcell

I decided the one I was working on didn't fit into the other avatars. So I started another one, but it is still a work in progress. See a screenshot of my work on it HERE. What do you think? Does it look like it would fit both genders?

I don't know how close you are to beta, but I would like to get this in before beta. I just need more time to polish(not happy with the collar of the shirt).

Advertisement: