Missunderstand things, can lead to find things (bugs)?

Started by rea, October 03, 2005, 02:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rea

haha, doing wrong things I find a possible fail in installation (don't know if already addressed)... (I miss that provide password of the data base for create a manager account, mean the actual password I enter in the anterior page... I was entering a different password [dont ask why]... but I get the following of doing "bad things" :S... lol)... but anyway, I find this:

OK, the problem... or perhaps more a miss in my part for detect this "thing"...

Suppose "/smf_1-1-rc1_install/" is where I upload the uncompressed file

I enter that folder (via web sure) and here the steps
1) Page: /smf_1-1-rc1_install/install.php
2) Page: /smf_1-1-rc1_install/install.php?step=0&overphp=true
3) Page: /smf_1-1-rc1_install/install.php?step=0&overphp=true
4) Page: /smf_1-1-rc1_install/install.php?step=1
Action: I enter info for Create Your Account and I repeat the anterior password for MySQL Database Password and Finish.
Result: (Error/warning) and the next page is "step=2"

Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.

This warning/error is inserted in the next page...
5) Page: /smf_1-1-rc1_install/install.php?step=2
Action: I reenter my passwords (again and again and again)
Result: always the same error and page... that is "5)" is in loop.

OK, my fault for missunderstood the MySQL Database Password, but if you let this like that and return to "smf_1-1-rc1_install/" instead of open the "install.php" (for restart the process I guess??), is opened the board, the thing is that there no exist administrator... :S... but the board is created...

Quote from: NEWS BOX
SMF - Just Installed!

And

Quote from: KEY STATS
1 Posts in 1 Topics by 0 Members
Latest Member:!

Yes, I can register users, but I will never get to control panel :S... because the admin isn't registered lol :S...

he he, hope that my miss can help you in see if something is possible to be done (apart of the text in MySQL Database Password), perhaps is possible to retard the creation of the boar (I guess in step 0 in number/section "3)" above, where entering information of the board and MySQL database connection.

Some like via jscript or some provide the steps but in one page? for not save temporal variables (I guess is for that you ask a second time the DB password)...

Some like:

1) do step 0 because the permissions via FTP.
2) Get "Basic Settings" and "MySQL Server Settings" and press a button, not for process but for hide this forms and get "Create Your Account" and now ready to process and dont let in a miss of the user (like I) a board without an administrator.

or

Check if there exist the admin as the first user???? (this is always the case isn't?).

Another observation, the error say

Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.

What if I contact the provider a day after (not in the moment), the provider give me the pass (that I already entered before, but I miss the meaning :S), and at the next day returning for solve "the problem"  to the root of the board... you see?, yes, they will see that there is the board "magically" (because no more error in connection)... but yes, the admin isn't registered ;).

Tough the argument of the warning is correct, it not take care that if the contact is not in that right moment, then after some time when the guy enter to the root waiting to get "install" again, he will see a board without admin ;).

I confuse you?? because I confuse me :P (joke).

Advertisement: