Resize Attached Images Mods for SMF 2.0.x?

Started by ApplianceJunk, April 14, 2014, 09:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApplianceJunk

Looking for mods that auto resize attached images.
The only one I can seem to find is this one.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2206

Thinking there was another one when I looked some time ago. I'm I missing something?

Thanks,

margarett

To resize the attached images is the only one I found.
There are some others to resize the images displayed, but the real attachment, not that I know of...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ApplianceJunk

Hmm, did some mod makers move there mods from SMF to their own sites?
Maybe it was on another site I seen it?

mashby

I thought SMF did this on its own (well, by settings in Features and Options > Layout).
Max width of posted pictures (0 = disable)
Max height of posted pictures (0 = disable)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

ApplianceJunk

Was thinking I seen a mod that resized the file size not just the dimension so you could save space on your server.
A lot of my members can't seem to figure out how to resize a photo themselves before uploading it.

margarett

@AJ, I can see even removed MODs but, if the user scrambled the name when removing it, then it can't be found by "resize" anymore. So I can't really tell...

@mashby: that resizes the *displayed* image. The MOD AJ mentions resizes the attachment itself.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mashby

OK, on another site I help with, the attached images thumbnails settings are what I'm seeing. What's wrong with the mod you linked to AJ? Seems to do what you might be wanting. :)
- James M. Barrie

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: mashby on April 14, 2014, 09:45:17 PM
OK, on another site I help with, the attached images thumbnails settings are what I'm seeing. What's wrong with the mod you linked to AJ? Seems to do what you might be wanting. :)

It talks about resizing dimension and nothing about changing the file size.

mashby

Maybe not explicitly, but if you take a large dimension image and resize it to a smaller dimension and then save it, you will hopefully get a smaller file size as a result. If you don't, I'd be shocked/amazed/disappointed.
- James M. Barrie

ApplianceJunk

Ok, I'm thinking along these lines as to how the displayed photo dimension size can be changed without changing the file size.
http://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10

Not sure if that is all the mod I posted is doing, just changing the size that is being displayed or actually changing the file size.

mashby

I'm not entirely familiar with the mod, but it sure seems like it does what you need. The link you just provide is merely using HTML to resize the image, the entire time, all of the images being referenced is this:
http://www.bbcode.org/images/lubeck_small.jpg
- James M. Barrie

margarett

It is changing BOTH because it really changes the image itself.

If you attach a big picture, taken with a state-of-the-art 200 megapixels camera which, in JPG format, takes 100Mb ;D This MOD would send to your server's filesystem a much smaller, eg 1024x768px with 400kB (or whatever filesize it becomes after resizing)
If you don't use this, you will end up with an attached file of 100Mb that would need to be fully loaded. That image would have like... 12231231232 x 5533233 px ;D
SMF (with that BBC you linked) would resize it like mashby points *BUT* after it had been fully loaded.

See the difference? ;)

Kays

The physical file size is determined by the dimensions. Width x height x 3 (colours) is the size as a bit map image. Or what you'd see if you were looking at it in a photo editor. Then when it is saved as a jpeg image, the physical size is reduced.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

a10

QuoteA lot of my members can't seem to figure out how to resize a photo themselves before uploading it
One meets those trying to upload some 5 x 4 Meter pictures, with zero understanding (what's the problem? looks small on my camera\pc\phone display).

I set file types and max file size, and stick to it whatever happens, providing much info in the faq, with links to programs for resizing and a help section. Extra work, but 99% gets the how's & why's without too much whining. Those few who can't grasp it I refer to use some image hosting, or get them to ask for help from family or friends. Of course, some easy to use built-in auto-resize could be nice.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

szinski

I love the "Resize Attached Images" mod (thanks Kays)... it allows iPhone users to upload images to my forum without having to resize them first. But, I'm having an issue with image orientation. A lot of iPhone images have the wrong orientation... sideways, upsidedown, etc... Does anyone know of a mod that will automatically read the exif data on an image and set the correct orientation during image upload?

margarett

This has been discussed in another topic not long ago.

In short: it's quite technical and difficult, there are currently no mods to fix that...

Westwegoman

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on April 14, 2014, 09:40:20 PM
Was thinking I seen a mod that resized the file size not just the dimension so you could save space on your server.
A lot of my members can't seem to figure out how to resize a photo themselves before uploading it.

AJ, the mod you mentioned in your first post would do this. I use it on my forum and it works great. Saves a lot of space and most of all, your members won't have to worry about resizing themselves.

roshaoar

Quote from: margarett on October 20, 2014, 09:53:04 AM
This has been discussed in another topic not long ago.

In short: it's quite technical and difficult, there are currently no mods to fix that...

Hello Margarett, can you point me to a link for this discussion? Thanks

margarett

IIRC, Arantor's gallery features that automatic rotation (which he implemented).
It's paid stuff, though.

I'll try to find the discussion ;)

edit: I think it's this
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=514372.msg3636111#msg3636111

roshaoar

Advertisement: