email Inactive Users

Started by Suki, April 19, 2014, 02:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suki

Quote from: sah62 on June 16, 2015, 08:21:19 PM
Quote from: Suki on June 16, 2015, 07:19:57 PM
You are prob using an outdated version of SMF, it you search this topic it has been mentioned a few times already, its not really a major bug and it goes away as soon as you select a membergroup or update to SMF 2.0.10

I'm using SMF 2.0.10. All file versions are up-to-date.

I saw your response in this reply:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=521464.msg3706248#msg3706248

I've tried setting "Disable the deletion of users feature". The log messages continue no matter what this option is set to. I've also tried selecting a membergroup and that doesn't seem to change anything, either.

The "Disable the deletion of users feature" has nothing to do with this issue, it was something the other user asked for, not relevant to your issue.

You need to select a membergroup and SAVE the changes.

If you are indeed using 2.0.10 then on your ./Sources/ManageServer.php file you should have this exact same line:

$context['config_vars'][$config_var[1]]['value'] = !empty($context['config_vars'][$config_var[1]]['value']) ? unserialize($context['config_vars'][$config_var[1]]['value']) : array();

Thats the line that fixes your issue and it has been included in SMF 2.0.9.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

sah62

Quote from: Suki on June 17, 2015, 09:36:38 AM
The "Disable the deletion of users feature" has nothing to do with this issue, it was something the other user asked for, not relevant to your issue.

You need to select a membergroup and SAVE the changes.

If you are indeed using 2.0.10 then on your ./Sources/ManageServer.php file you should have this exact same line:

$context['config_vars'][$config_var[1]]['value'] = !empty($context['config_vars'][$config_var[1]]['value']) ? unserialize($context['config_vars'][$config_var[1]]['value']) : array();

Thats the line that fixes your issue and it has been included in SMF 2.0.9.

That line is present exactly as written above.

One thing I noticed, though: I can't seem to save membergroup selections. I can select multiple groups, but when I click on "Save" to save the settings they are not selected when the page is redisplayed. Should the groups be visibly selected after saving the settings?

Suki

Can you attach your Sources/ManageServer.php file here please.

Does your host allows serialize() to be used?

Does the other settings gets saved correctly?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

sah62

Quote from: Suki on June 18, 2015, 10:37:42 AM
Can you attach your Sources/ManageServer.php file here please.

File attached.

Does your host allows serialize() to be used?

Yes, I run my own server. PHP version is PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.9.

Does the other settings gets saved correctly?

Yes, it seems so. I can check and uncheck options, enter integer values, and set text for email just fine.  The only issue appears to be with saving group selections.

Topman

Quote from: Suki on April 23, 2015, 06:40:18 PM
The mod doesn't add any log.

Take a look at your list of scheduled tasks, there should be a new taks named "email inactive users" or something like that, make sure its enable.

Hi Suki,
Thanks for this  great mod and something that is very much needed.

I looked in scheduled tasks and unchecked the enable "email inactive users" and checked run now.
I got the message:
"Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (sinceMail)"  (minus the " ")

I then clicked my e mail and have received e mails responses from my test accounts and mail non-delivery e mails from members with email accounts that no longer work.
So can I assume it works?  I am using 2.0.10 and installed the Mod today.

On another matter, I assume if you change the default message sent you need to ad {user_name} to the text as that with the {} as well for the user_name or the other things to work?

Topman

Actually, I think it has worked as one of my "wayward" members is online and having a look at the forum right now!

aegersz

I also could use the non-deleting version too.

thanks, I just want to send reminders, please.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Topman

Just add 100,000 days to the setting for deleting.
If you are still alive in 273 years time re set it or un-enable it.

I must admit the "deleting members" feature is a bit unnecessary as this can be done manually quite easily.

aegersz

because I see SMF as wonderful forumware so it deserves an elegant feature admin panel of such options.

but thanks for the input ... I'm a forum nut so I appreciate connecting to fellow enthusiasts.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Topman

I have just deactivated "email inactive members" as it is sending the e mail to them everyday!
That sort of spam wont bring them back and get my forum a bad name.
Good for 3-4 times a year though.

Miker1029

Hey just installed this MOD and so far so good, set it for 173 days + 7 for grace period, Had a couple questions, 1 as I understand from reading Users WON'T Show up on the Deletion List till 24hrs before the actual deletion?!?!?

AND Is there a way to send myself a test E-mail to see how it looks??  I tried looking for a Last Active MOD or something to change it on a TEST account, but couldn't find anything....

AND GREAT MOD SO FAR!!!   Love IT!

Mike

Suki

Quote from: Miker1029 on August 05, 2015, 12:31:19 PM
1 as I understand from reading Users WON'T Show up on the Deletion List till 24hrs before the actual deletion

From the mod's description:

- Once the user has received the email and the grace period has expired, (s)he will appear on the mod's user list, on that list you can:
   - Mark the user for deletion. The user will be deleted the next time the scheduled task gets executed, there is a small chance for the user to skip deletion if (s)he logs in between the time the admin marked their account for deletion and the time the scheduled task gets executed, this timeframe, however, could be very small and it cannot be larger than a full day.
   - Mark the user as "untouchable" This special setting tells the mod to completely ignore this account, that is, the account won't be eligible for deletion even if it complies with all of the criteria.

It means the mod sends out an email if the user meets the criteria, then and ONLY then it gets added to the "delete list" and it will only be deleted IF you mark that user for deletion.

The email is just plain text, the generic message can be seen at:  https://github.com/MissAllSunday/emailInactiveUsers/blob/master/Themes/default/languages/emailInactiveUsers.english.php#L54

The only thing that changes is the {tokens}. The mod won't support HTML on mails.

Miker1029

Oh Wow, so I actually have to Approve the Deletion? And Yes I read that, Just kind of Confused me, So I Guess, That as "Criteria" that means the Time Frame/Group/and GRACE PERIOD, It sent out 2 Pages of mails, so I know that part worked fine, Just they didn't show up on the deletion list, as you said criteria hasn't been met...

IF I'm correct on the "Approve Deletion" is there a way that I can just have them Deleted WITHOUT my intervention, I pretty Much want it set as AN Automatic system....

Thanks

Mike

Suki

No, there is currently no way to automatically delete users, it can be done sure but I won't be adding that feature simply because I don't want to be blamed for any possible incorrect usage of it (aka, your mod deleted all my users).

Thats  why the mod has been specifically built to let the admin decide what to do with those accounts (effectively washing my hands off from any responsibility).  Depending on how busy is your forum, checking the list once per week should be enough, AFAIK the mod has a "select all" checkbox so the only thing you need to do is mark that box.

Miker1029

Ok Ya True, I can see that as being a major issue!   But a Tick Box Option With a STRONGLY WORDED WARNING, Might fix that kind of issue...If I TICK And LOSE IT It's on me for not testing it.....

And a Warning E-Mail to the ADMIN that says 1862 Members are fixing to be deleted and after this deletion you'll have Exactly 0 left so you might want to log-in to verify this action as you'll have exactly 0 members left after this action is performed. (or something along those lines...)  8-)  (SMART A$$ Example)

As a WORKING Automatic system it'd be very nice, And ya just going in to a click-all works, But options are a beautiful  thing 8-)

The reason I'm bringing it up, I'm at the Moment, Setting up, FAKE E-Mail/SPAM Prevention and Forum Misuse Blocking, And As it is once a month (or so) I have to Newsletter to all members to get Bounces to delete fake accounts, SO I added E-Mail Name Block and just added about 300 Fake Providers to the Block, and now your MOD...

The Goal To bring my user base down to USERS that Actually USE 8-)  I'm not impressed by 1800+ users, I'd rather have 100 That Participate.....

IMHO, Just putting the idea out there.. Maybe some others will speak up on it....

Mike

Topman

For a start set up a member account for yourself (with no posts) and you will receive the notification that everyone else gets.
That shows you what it is like and proves it is working.

I could never have not used a spam prevention MOD as within a day or so I would have had 100's if not 1000's of spam posts.

I do like your idea of finding out which e mail accounts are no longer active though as there is no point in having these people as members - they wont be coming back!

My biggest issue is people who register and never make a post (I delete their accounts after 28 days) This Mod is useful for sending out a reminder.
And people who post, asking for specific help which I always give and then never return to see it let alone say thank you!

Miker1029

Quote from: Topman on August 07, 2015, 02:59:11 AM
For a start set up a member account for yourself (with no posts) and you will receive the notification that everyone else gets.
That shows you what it is like and proves it is working.

I could never have not used a spam prevention MOD as within a day or so I would have had 100's if not 1000's of spam posts.

I do like your idea of finding out which e mail accounts are no longer active though as there is no point in having these people as members - they wont be coming back!

My biggest issue is people who register and never make a post (I delete their accounts after 28 days) This Mod is useful for sending out a reminder.
And people who post, asking for specific help which I always give and then never return to see it let alone say thank you!

Ya the SPAM thing I learned A LONG TIME AGO, I just mentioned it above, NOW I (and for awhile now) have had Absolutely 0 SPAM, Matter of Fact I'm thinking of starting a test trial of 0 on post approval, maybe getting over confident...

Right now I have the Picture Capture, and 1 Post Approval (with Captcha), then your free to "roam".

And Unfortunately the way my forum is setup the Downloads are the draw as I try and Build useful content so "NON" contributors is a give-in.

I've only been on a PAID site going on 6 Months,Almost a year ON FREE SITE (Get chills thinking about those days, but good learning experience, I GUESS).

And I don't have it set-up to E-mail for Non posts, I just want it to go in and E-Mail those who haven't logged in, in 173 days, and the 7 day grace period till deletion...

The Idea's here is to TRY and Get the forum as SELF running as possible...At the Moment I have the E-Mail BLOCK, This MOD (with Auto-Delete Hopefully), the "NO-REPLY Email MOD",  It's not that I want it to RUN COMPLETELY ON IT'S OWN, But Things Like SPAM Posts, OLD USERS, And Other little things like that I'd like just done....

You never mentioned, and I ask so maybe the DEV will consider adding it.  What do you the Of the AUTO-DELETE on ALL CRITERIA Being Met?

Mike

Miker1029

Hey,

Not sure if this is the MOD causing this issue, But this morning I did approve 3 users for deletion, And I've Disabled (not uninstalled), the mod a couple of hours ago and I'm still getting this, ALL e-mail mods I have are currently disabled, and the "3" user thing seems to be this mod, my Host doesn't provide an E-mail From/To trace so I can't figure where this is coming from, I woke up to 1500 Of these errors, and just deleted them 20 Minutes ago....

HELP?!?!?!  (See Attachments)

And yes I've already Cleared the  Mail Que 1x and it seems to be trying to Resend even after I disabled the MOD, Maybe an SMF thing, I went into Mail Settings and Didn't see a way to "clear" a RESEND?!?!?  If that is what it's trying to do....

Mike

Miker1029

Still Having the Above Issue....

And just started to have another one, Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

I have it set to check for Log-Ins Older then 173 days, Do the E-Mail, Then they have a 7 Day Grace Period, total 180/6 months...

I have it setup in tasks to run at 5am every morning, and the MOD is Active, and the Groups set... And user posts that are 1+ are ignored...

But I have users that are 181 Days old, And a Ran the Task manually and they're not showing in the user list....

I've attached Screen shots....If you have any ideas....

Oh, Also I set the days to 160 and it brought up 1 user for deletion who was 180+ days old.....

Mike

Suki

SMF's scheduled tasks aren't real cronjobs so if your forum isn't every active at 5am chances are the scheduled task was missed and when it was executed, some users didn't meet the criteria. Better set the scheduled task to a more active time.

If you are running the task manually and still no users appear then you need to figure it out which criteria they do not meet.

Its been a while since I look at the code for this mod, it seems a lot of users are getting issues with it and I honestly don't have the energy nor the desire/motivation to work on it any longer, too much trouble for little to no reward.

Advertisement: