Anyone working on a ProBoards/Forums.net Converter?

Started by SimianSteam, April 25, 2014, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimianSteam

Now that ProBoards has finally given us prisoners a window to escape through I was wondering if anyone was working on a converter to move ProBoards/Forums.net DBs over to SMF?

For anyone that reads this and goes, "You can't download your ProBoards Database!" The situation has changed... Kinda. ProBoards set up a new paid service called Forums.net that does allow you to download your database. To do this you have to move from ProBoards to their new service and sign a 6-Month Contract. Lowest tier is 9.99 a month, but $60 is well worth it for me to get the hell away from their lack of customization, terrible servers, and just plain crappyness.

Dragooon

Is it possible to have a copy of the basic structure? That'd be the basic requirement if someone were to make a converter

SimianSteam

Quote from: Dragooon on April 25, 2014, 10:50:15 AM
Is it possible to have a copy of the basic structure? That'd be the basic requirement if someone were to make a converter

No clue. I'm a total newb to SQL or I'd figure out how to do it myself. How would one go about getting the basic structure?

Dragooon

Quote from: SimianSteam on April 25, 2014, 10:51:44 AM

No clue. I'm a total newb to SQL or I'd figure out how to do it myself. How would one go about getting the basic structure?
Well, if they give the database in SQL the basic structure would be the tables/columns. Basically a sample of the database for a ProBoards forum

SimianSteam

Quote from: Dragooon on April 25, 2014, 10:57:55 AM
Quote from: SimianSteam on April 25, 2014, 10:51:44 AM

Well, if they give the database in SQL the basic structure would be the tables/columns. Basically a sample of the database for a ProBoards forum

Hmmm... That's gonna be fun to get. I guess I could just pay them $10, set up a new account with Forums.net and just fill it with BS, then download the DB. Let me poke around a bit and see what I can come up with. Is it cool to PM you if I find something?

Illori

do you have access to phpmyadmin? you can do a custom export of just the structure of all the tables and that may be good enough to get this started.

Dragooon

Oh I should tell you, I don't have jack squat of an idea how converters are made :P. You should stick to this thread. If you find something I'll try and take a peak but can't guarantee anything.

SimianSteam

Quote from: Dragooon on April 25, 2014, 11:18:27 AM
Oh I should tell you, I don't have jack squat of an idea how converters are made :P. You should stick to this thread. If you find something I'll try and take a peak but can't guarantee anything.

LoL. No worries, man. I'll cross my fingers and hope that someone with experience sees this and takes on the challenge. I'm willing to chip in some money if it'll help the process along. I know a lot of folks would LOVE to get away from ProBoards, especially since this is the first possibility of escape in what? Four years?

AllanD

Proboards doesn't allow you to migrate from there servers. It's against their TOS and everything I have seen available in the past Patrick has personally put a stop to it.

As far as getting the database from forum.net then you will need someone to make a convertor for you.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Biology Forums

You could hire someone to create a scrapper that will essentially copy and post every thread and post.

Try Odesk.com, plenty of guys with experience there.

Dragooon

Quote from: Liam_michael on April 25, 2014, 01:10:56 PM
You could hire someone to create a scrapper that will essentially copy and post every thread and post.

That's possible just fine, but he implied that a SQL DB can be exported which would be easier to work with

SimianSteam

Quote from: AllanD on April 25, 2014, 12:57:48 PM
Proboards doesn't allow you to migrate from there servers. It's against their TOS and everything I have seen available in the past Patrick has personally put a stop to it.

As far as getting the database from forum.net then you will need someone to make a convertor for you.

Your information is out of date. Forums.net IS ProBoards, and Forums.net allows you to download their database and migrate. You do have to pay for the privilege, but it's an option now.

SimianSteam

Quote from: Dragooon on April 25, 2014, 01:41:21 PM
Quote from: Liam_michael on April 25, 2014, 01:10:56 PM

That's possible just fine, but he implied that a SQL DB can be exported which would be easier to work with

Not an implication. Statement of fact. I've talked to Forums.net CS to make sure that the DB is SQL and it is.

SimianSteam

Quote from: Illori on April 25, 2014, 11:17:03 AM
do you have access to phpmyadmin? you can do a custom export of just the structure of all the tables and that may be good enough to get this started.

Sorry, missed this one on the first go-around. Is there a multi-quote option that I'm not seeing, BTW?

Don't have access yet. I'm making sure I've got all my ducks in a row before I make the switch, the big one being a converter. If I moved to the Forums.net service right now I'd be paying something like $60 a month based on the number of monthly pageviews my forum has (380K as of this month). Not ready to bite that bullet since once you move to Forums.net it's unclear whether you'll be able to go back to a free PB account.

margarett

We need a database dump. With that we can try to build something.

Can you get us one?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SimianSteam

Quote from: margarett on April 25, 2014, 02:12:05 PM
We need a database dump. With that we can try to build something.

Can you get us one?

Hmmm... I'll try to figure out a way to do it. Worst case I just sign up for a $10 account, fill the forum with crap, dump the DB, and let the account expire. First I'm going to contact their CS and see if they'll just give me a sample DB dump.

SimianSteam

Will this help, or do you need the actual file?

--
-- Table structure for table `Example Table`
--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `Example Table` (
  `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `name` varchar(25) NOT NULL,
  `value` text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
  KEY `name` (`name`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=3 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `Example Table`
--

INSERT INTO `Example Table` (`id`, `name`, `value`) VALUES
(1, 'Test', 'Example'),
(2, 'More', 'Data as a sample');

I emailed PB Support and asked for a sample database.

Dragooon

Uhm, I don't understand your question? I know what SQL is, I'd or someone else will need the actual SQL from a forum even if it contains dummy data

SimianSteam

Quote from: Dragooon on April 25, 2014, 04:45:11 PM
Uhm, I don't understand your question? I know what SQL is, I'd or someone else will need the actual SQL from a forum even if it contains dummy data

Asked for an SQL database from them, that's what I got. I replied saying that I'd really like to see the actual database file. Fingers crossed.

SimianSteam

And it's a no-go. They won't give me a complete database dump.

Advertisement: