News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Recent Forum Topics on Boardindex For 2.0.x

Started by Pipke, May 05, 2014, 09:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayko

Rupurudu!

Quote from: Pipke on February 16, 2016, 11:48:36 AM
That is possible, but i dont going to update/edit this version of my mod, as i wait for smf 2.1 final release, then ill update my mod with more futures.
:| Can you share it now? The current version have multiple issues.

• It results Fatal Error on W3C HTML Checker
  • It doesn't work with responsive themes
  • It have problems with my current theme. (and yes it's your issue. You shouldn't use .catbg on a tr since it's designed to use with h3 element.)

karaoke

how can I move news feed up over to the recent topic?

best regards,

-Rock Lee-

Pense had translated but it seems not good you went up attached files with the Latin translation into Spanish: D plus some more files add-rft.php, remove-rft.php and redirect.txt although I think are so important ???

Code (Line_17) Select

exit('<b>Error:</b> Cannot install - please verify you put this in the same place as SMF\'s index.php.');

exit('<b>Error:</b> No se puede instalar - por favor, compruebe que el index.php este en la misma carpeta que SMF');

Code (Line_19) Select

exit('<b>Error:</b> Cannot uninstall - please verify you put this in the same place as SMF\'s index.php.');

exit('<b>Error:</b> No se puede desinstalar - por favor, compruebe que el index.php este en la misma carpeta que SMF');

The Recent Forum Topics Mod has been installed successfully! You will now be taken to the settings page where you can config the mod.

Temas recientes del foro ha sido instalado con éxito! Ahora va a ser llevado a la página de configuración donde se puede configurar la modificación.

I leave both Latin normal as utf-8

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

ormuz

I see you have a php block, which is great. But how do I use only the block and not have the mod on my boardindex? Any fast hack?

Pipke

Quote from: ormuz on January 04, 2017, 06:34:01 PM
I see you have a php block, which is great. But how do I use only the block and not have the mod on my boardindex? Any fast hack?

Quote from: ormuz on January 05, 2017, 12:01:18 PM
This is great, how can I try this. I want my homepage with simpleportal to be only recent topics. This would do it I guess

see attachment, pls note the mod is beta, bugs can occur, use at own RISK!! ok i warned you enough i think. good luck and fun with the mod.

* attachment removed
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

Kindred

Please load to mod site rather than as an attachment?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ormuz

I think that would be cool to solve the bugs faster. This mod can be something, all the new kids on the block (new forum system) are based on this logic and not on categories.

@Kindred suggestion, a new version of smf needs to have an option of this kind as a default option. It just improves the usability on a forum by a lot and decreases the entry barrier for new users.

Thanks a lot for this!

ormuz

Quote from: Pipke on January 05, 2017, 04:12:09 PM
see attachment, pls note the mod is beta, bugs can occur, use at own RISK!! ok i warned you enough i think. good luck and fun with the mod.

trying to "hide" a post and then got this error on the mod admin.

QuoteOperand should contain 1 column(s)
Ficheiro: /home/ncoelhoc/public_html/mtv6/Sources/Subs-RecentForumTopics.php
Linha: 677

Is there a way to bring the post back after hiding it?

Kindred

Quote from: ormuz on January 05, 2017, 05:45:24 PM
Kindred suggestion, a new version of smf needs to have an option of this kind as a default option. It just improves the usability on a forum by a lot and decreases the entry barrier for new users.

Sorry... that makes no sense at all...   the mod site is specific to simplemachines.org. Why would there be a feature in the software that is usable only on this site?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ormuz

Quote from: Kindred on January 05, 2017, 06:41:12 PM
Quote from: ormuz on January 05, 2017, 05:45:24 PM
Kindred suggestion, a new version of smf needs to have an option of this kind as a default option. It just improves the usability on a forum by a lot and decreases the entry barrier for new users.

Sorry... that makes no sense at all...   the mod site is specific to simplemachines.org. Why would there be a feature in the software that is usable only on this site?

I'm talking about what this mod does... Basically it allows to replace the boardindex to be a recent topics instead. That I think it should be a SMF default option, not the mod site :p

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Egads no! I'm with Kindred. That goes against the whole concept of how a forum should work for those who make the software. If one must have it the way you suggest, then as Kindred said, it should be a mod imo as well.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

That said, it's how Discourse and others do it now. Great for focusing on new content, terrible for finding older content.

ormuz

I most disagree with you guys. We are in a mobile world, what's the point of scrolling through pointless categories (defined by a clever illuminated guy) when you can scroll through content? That's what you were looking for in the first place. New young users won't even understand that concept, are forums dying? Or just not adapting...

You guys are right and everyone else is wrong? :) Think about the new kids on the block, tapatalk, discourse, flarum, nodebb, etc. Not to mention facebooks and twitters and so on.

btw, someone trying to do this on elkarte... pretty cool stuff imho
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4010.0

just the two cents of someone desperately trying to make this happen for his humble smf forum ;)

ormuz

Quote from: Pipke on January 05, 2017, 04:12:09 PM

Another question, how to display 20/30/40/50 topics per page instead of just 10 :/

Arantor

Quote from: ormuz on January 06, 2017, 10:54:52 AM
I most disagree with you guys. We are in a mobile world, what's the point of scrolling through pointless categories (defined by a clever illuminated guy) when you can scroll through content? That's what you were looking for in the first place. New young users won't even understand that concept, are forums dying? Or just not adapting...

You guys are right and everyone else is wrong? :) Think about the new kids on the block, tapatalk, discourse, flarum, nodebb, etc. Not to mention facebooks and twitters and so on.

just the two cents of someone desperately trying to make this happen for his humble smf forum ;)

Speaking as someone who spent considerable time on a 1+ million post forum that was on Discourse and now NodeBB, and find it much harder to navigate to find where to post anything, or where to find anything... if you're a regular and keep up with all the current content, sure, it works great. If you're not - and most forums users are not - they tend to be harder to navigate.

Just because they do it doesn't make it right. You talk about Facebook... try finding a post from 2014 on there. It's all geared to the latest content which if you only care about the latest content, is fine. But plenty of users and plenty of forums are not about the latest, and plenty of them are not about rapid response, where replies can take hours or days, where you can then find your topic long gone if you can't readily find it amongst a category structure.

ormuz

Quote from: Arantor on January 06, 2017, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: ormuz on January 06, 2017, 10:54:52 AM

Speaking as someone who spent considerable time on a 1+ million post forum that was on Discourse and now NodeBB, and find it much harder to navigate to find where to post anything, or where to find anything... if you're a regular and keep up with all the current content, sure, it works great. If you're not - and most forums users are not - they tend to be harder to navigate.

Just because they do it doesn't make it right. You talk about Facebook... try finding a post from 2014 on there. It's all geared to the latest content which if you only care about the latest content, is fine. But plenty of users and plenty of forums are not about the latest, and plenty of them are not about rapid response, where replies can take hours or days, where you can then find your topic long gone if you can't readily find it amongst a category structure.

That's arguable, very. Once again, think about the current reality, with navigation through the updated content + push notifications, it's a breezy to be aware of what is going on. Let's face it, platforms like smf without native apps can't really compete with facebook groups for instance.

And I do think the users that make a community alive are the regulars, always a small percentage of the user base. And we should build interfaces for them. Not the sporadic user that stumble upon your community by searching for something, luckily you can make that new user a regular. But if your community is designed for a 15 years ago reality, you are just making your life as an admin harder. And without new users your community just dies eventually.

I really like what tapatalk is doing. It's way nicer to navigate to that updated list of content and have push notifications to the content you are interested in, than once again the typical and old categories list... It's just not a fair fight and if our old mindset doesn't change nothing good is coming for the future. Just look to smf 2.1, not released yet and it's already outdated by 5 years :(

And don't get me wrong, I love smf and I think it's one of the more stable platforms out there. I just release a major redesign on a big forum. But I just feel that I'm not getting the tools that I need to fight my competition and sadly I don't see that changing.

Advertisement: