News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Split membergroup manage/assign permissions

Started by Storebror, July 02, 2014, 03:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storebror

Dear SMF developers,

I'd like to suggest to split the current permission setting "Manage and assign membergroups" into several separate permissions, like e.g. done in this unfortunately outdated and apparently no longer supported mod: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269649.0

The reason for this suggestion is that with the current permission "Manage and assign membergroups" it's impossible to grant permission to assign membergroups to a specific membergroup (e.g. moderators, "junior" admins) without enabling them to create new membergroup where they can get access to each and everything on the forum.

The separation into "Manage membergroups", "Moderate membergroups", "Assign primary membergroups" and "Assign additional membergroups" as done in the above cited mod seems to make much sense, so I'd like to suggest to take a closer look at it and if possible, implement it in SMF 2.1 by default.

Thanks and best regards - Mike

Illori

in 2.0 already you can assign a user as a group moderator and they will then be able to add/remove members to that group via the moderation center. i believe this is what you are looking for.

Storebror

No I'm sorry, but that's not what I've been looking for.
The problem with your suggestion is that it can be done per-member only, you cannot assign a whole usergroup as a group moderator.
I know it might be hard to understand, but think of larger scale forums where you don't just have one group of admins, but instead you wanna have a group of "real" admins with all rights on every board (which is an extremely small group of people) and another group e.g. "Administration Team" for the forum which should have most of the admin's rights like "Assign primary membergroups" and "Assign additional membergroups" but they should not be able to have unlimited access to the forum, it's maintenance tasks etc.
This you can only achieve when the permissions are split as suggested.

Best regards - Mike

Kindred

Sorry, at this point, for 2.1, we are not going to mess any further with the complicated bundle of string that is the permissions system.

Besides that, I can not imaging ever having enough moderators for any one group that it would be overly complicated to add them as individual moderators for a group.....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oldiesmann

I definitely don't see this happening. Splitting permissions up like that will make things more confusing, and I'm not even going to go near the whole "groups to moderate groups" thing.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: