SMF & Wordpress

Started by dopeitspaul, August 10, 2014, 10:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

QuoteYou might not ask that if you've ever created a theme for both sides.

I've ported WP themes to SMF. It really isn't that much of a deal in most cases.

QuoteSeriously though, they're not compatible because the CSS classes and IDs are all different.

So? It's not like you have to keep them. My favourite example for this is crossingoverland.com, I ported a premium WP theme to SMF, there's no WP install there despite the fact it looks bloggish.

QuoteNow, as we see, themes tend to change from one app release to another, so after that huge effort to get a single theme compatible between two environments, the theme author is likely to change it, or new Responsive / mobile-friendly themes are likely to emerge

So having a single environment makes so much more sense.

QuoteI think the real solution is better collaboration amongst a number of the popular FOSS leaders.

It's very nice in theory but you're not the one that would actually have to spend the time working on it.

Of the people in the SMF camp who 'could' work with WP... none of us actually *do*. Similarly, of the people in the WP camp capable of doing such things with SMF... none of them actually do. There's a lack of need and a serious lack of incentive.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: TonyG on December 26, 2014, 04:08:25 PM
Quote from: Fortytwo on December 26, 2014, 02:22:07 AMIn all that time couldn't you just have made a theme for one of them that is the same as the other? :P
You might not ask that if you've ever created a theme for both sides. :) Seriously though, they're not compatible because the CSS classes and IDs are all different. For example, the DIV ID "header" might be common to different environments, but under that SMF has ID "top_section" and a class "forumtitle". There's also an "upper_section", class "user", "main_menu", etc. In other FOSS there may or may not be the same concepts but the names aren't the same. So getting two themes from two FOSS applications to agree is a huge challenge. Now, as we see, themes tend to change from one app release to another, so after that huge effort to get a single theme compatible between two environments, the theme author is likely to change it, or new Responsive / mobile-friendly themes are likely to emerge. So this whole effort is just a temporary fix that's too time consuming to endure.
Nothing stops you from changing the classes and rearranging the divs. I started making a theme for SMF as soon as I installed it for the first time and I changed or added many of them to fit my needs. And most wordpress themes I've seen seem very simplistic, so it shouldn't be hard to just copy whatever theme you're using.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

djohns

This SMF-WP bridge was updated 01 Jan 2015, if anyone is interested.  I have not tried it, myself:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp2smfbridge/

samhtb

Can the WordPress users automatically sign in without sign up to the WordPress SMF platform? How do you think, is it works good on WordPress?

Advertisement: