Note about a admin feature setting you may not be aware of...

Started by Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting, January 17, 2015, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

The other day while monitoring my system I noticed a user perusing the "help" page, so I drilled down thru the link to see what/where that led, saw the list of features and said hmm... did a little checking and found one of interest to me, checked it without following all the way through to see if there was a on/off setting... so I assumed it wasn't functional, but Illori so kindly illuminated me about it, thanks for straightening me out there...

The advertised feature is a Topic Preview while hovering-over of Topic Subject Lines on the MessageIndex and the admin setting is located the bottom of admin -> forum -> posts and topics, & if set to 0 (default) its disabled...

enjoy

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Antechinus

Quote from: Antechinus on January 17, 2015, 08:20:07 PM
Yup. That's been there since 1.1.x. :D Maybe longer.

Hmm, wonder why I haven't noticed it before now, sheesh... ok, so has the hover-over on the message index aspect of it always been there as well? May need to change the settings options language files to include mentioning the hover-over aspect maybe, or change the default setting to something other than zero?

In fact now you got me wonder how difficult it would be to custom activate that in the Who's Online Screen... later, way too busy to focus that way right now...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Antechinus

Yes it has always been there. It's just that most people never use it. TBH I find such things annoying. If they're fast enough to read while I'm scanning the index, then they're fast enough to flash all the time when I don't want them to. If they're slow enough that they don't flash at me when I don't want them, then they're so slow that it's quicker and easier to open the topic and read the OP.

tl:dr; Can't stand the things. My 2c.

Illori

Quote from: Antechinus on January 17, 2015, 08:20:07 PM
Yup. That's been there since 1.1.x. :D Maybe longer.

it has been there does not mean the feature in the admin panel to turn it on has been there.

Quote from: Antechinus on January 17, 2015, 09:04:25 PM
Yes it has always been there. It's just that most people never use it. TBH I find such things annoying. If they're fast enough to read while I'm scanning the index, then they're fast enough to flash all the time when I don't want them to. If they're slow enough that they don't flash at me when I don't want them, then they're so slow that it's quicker and easier to open the topic and read the OP.

tl:dr; Can't stand the things. My 2c.

No factual data to back me, but I have a solid hunch this will be extremely useful later on my site in regard to my particular configuration of VBgamer's Downloads module... the way it stands currently the message board side of that puppy is very ugly and unpleasant to search through unless you are very determined to find something and can "read between the lines" lol...   sorry @VBgamer its one of my favorite modules but hey, we'll get it fixed eventually, yes?...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Antechinus

Oh that sounds about right. His mods are sound for functionality, but he's a bit iffy on presentation sometimes. Lots of modders are like that.

Quote from: Antechinus on January 17, 2015, 11:18:50 PM
Oh that sounds about right. His mods are sound for functionality, but he's a bit iffy on presentation sometimes. Lots of modders are like that.

Speaking of fixing it @VBgamer, if you are monitoring, due to the fact that I have 2.1 installed on my production site, if you are interested, pop in there and investigate what this hover-over feature on the downloads messages is like currently, it should be relatively simple to get the hover to translate displaying the thumbnail that gets transferred into the topic from the Downloads module, the textual version of the url is there in the hover-over...

hmm, might cause a bit too much overhead, maybe

edit)
on second look, its not the thumbnail url, but just the same, it would still be cool if it was clickable...

AHH hell... not on the hover over duh... soon as you move the cursor it dies, silly idea but the thumbnail? big maybe

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Advertisement: