News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Apostrophe Killing Posts

Started by Stephen66515, January 26, 2015, 04:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen66515

Having issues where any text after an apostrophe in a post is breaking (SMF 2.0.9) | IE, if I post "How's you" it would only show "How"

Strange thing is, it shows up perfectly in Preview, but when I press post, it just removes everything after and including the apostrophe. 

Anybody have any clues what this could be?

debiwebi

I've been considering switching over to UTF-8 because some of our members (and I as well) use various text editors to create our posts and then copy/paste them into a post. Most punctuation turns into the black diamond and then needs to be corrected. Or we add punctuation afterwards. Extra work either way.

The UTF-8 Readme doesn't mention this, but I read somewhere that if I convert now (our forum is a month old, 231 posts so far) it could mess up some characters in existing posts. Has anyone else heard this?

Right now I'm using English ISO-8859-1 with no plans for additional languages. And yes, I'd backup the database first and the site is always backed up as well.
Some mornings it just isn't worth
chewing through the leather straps.
~Emo

Unlimited Own Posts Editing Time

Night09

Although it warns about it in reality the chance is low plus better to fix a few posts than a few thousand. ;)

kat

Plain text editors should be fine. Copy/pasting from Word, Abiword, Open Office and the like is not a good idea, though, due to the formatting tag thingies they use.

margarett

In any case, switch to UTF8 is highly recommended. Yes, I've seen cases where some characters get messed (never really understood why though...). Don't forget that you must switch to a UTF8 language pack after conversion.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Steve

Highly recommended for the OP or for everyone?
DO NOT pm me for support!

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

Everyone, really. 2.1 now defaults to UTF-8 out of the box for this reason.

Steve

debiwebi

Okay, I'm going to convert to UTF-8 tomorrow, when I know I'll have time to fix any problems that may come up. I'll update to let you know how it went.
~Emo

margarett

Remember to backup first. There's no way to go back ;)

debiwebi

Ok, still have been to busy to do this and yes, I'll definitely back up before proceeding.

Quick question: If I convert to UTF-8 and have a problem, is it possible to undo the conversion? Convert back to whatever I have set up currently? The how-to instructions don't address that.

I don't know how the conversion works (it's greek to me, lol). The instructions say all old posts will be converted to UTF-8, which I can "un-do" by reloading the backup of the database. But I'm not sure if I can "turn off" that setting for future posts... of if that's an issue. Am I overthinking this?
~Emo

Kindred

no. the only way to "convert back" is to restore a backup
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Small tip: When you backup the database, take two copies, at least.

Database backups can be corrupt.

There speaks the voice of tragic experience...

debiwebi

Thanks Kindred and K@. Great idea on the double db backup (I also now have two external backup drives for my computer, another hard lesson). TG I have a connection at the local sheriff's dept, computer crimes division, they saved my arse. They sure know what they're doing.  ;)

I see I can back up the db through my Forum, I can also do so through my hosting company. I may as well cover all my bases.

Tomorrow is the day!
~Emo

Illori

Quote from: debiwebi on January 28, 2015, 04:16:34 PM
I see I can back up the db through my Forum, I can also do so through my hosting company. I may as well cover all my bases.

the backup in the admin panel is known to not work well. best not to use it at all.

debiwebi

THANK YOU Illori! I know the one through my hosting works.
~Emo

Steve

Quote from: debiwebi on January 28, 2015, 03:11:53 PMQuick question: If I convert to UTF-8 and have a problem, is it possible to undo the conversion? Convert back to whatever I have set up currently? The how-to instructions don't address that.

Ya musta missed margarett's post just before yours ...

Quote from: margarett on January 27, 2015, 10:44:52 AMRemember to backup first. There's no way to go back ;)

I'm just teasin' ya. :P

I have 4 backups, 1 of which is on an external hard drive and 2 of which are on separate flash drives.

Think I'm paranoid? Or are they really out to get me?  :o

kat

I do the same. Once bitten and all that...

Advertisement: