News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

I want to run my forum like a blog

Started by Codetopus, October 05, 2015, 03:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codetopus

I want a forum where the posts from a selected group (The general discussion board) appear on the index page like blog posts (headlines), and users get to open and view, reply, vote in polls etc, and links to other forum categories are placed somewhere on the homepage where users can easily go their preferred boards/categories anytime. Thanks in anticipation!!!

Gary

Don't use 2.1 on a live site, it's still in development. Use 2.0 instead.

For using SMF features on a standard website, check out your copy of ssi_examples.php (or http://simplemachines.org/community/ssi_examples.php) it'll show you lots of functions that you can use outside of SMF with SSI.php. 2.0 has the capability.

I've been making use of features like this for eight years.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Codetopus

To be frank with you. I'm a pro in HTML & CSS, I'm just planning on learning PHP, so I don't really understand the lots. I just need something like a working template. Thanks

Kindred

You can pretty much do this with a portal mod...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ken.

Quote from: Kindred on October 05, 2015, 04:40:46 PM
You can pretty much do this with a portal mod...

That sounds like what you need to achieve your desired result.

There several portals available that could do the job for you. My preference is TinyPortal and we've released version 1.1 that works great, give it a look.
http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

Advertisement: