News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

need to re-install ... help needed

Started by warhonowicz, January 04, 2016, 07:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warhonowicz

Hi,

I have yet to find out why, but when I try to open the URL to my forum I get an error message. I believe the forum has been hacked at some point just before Xmas and I now need to somehow restore it. I still have full access to my hosting package, the database etc but the site will simply not work.

So, my question is, what steps do I need to take? I thought along the lines of:

1. create a backup of the database from phpmyadmin.
2. Download all files from the webserver
3. delete everything on the webserver, upload a small index.html file to test
4. re-install SMF
5. restore the backup made

My concern is that a) I could miss parts of the forum like old attachments etc. and b) the database could have been hacked, so I would simply re-store a hacked version.

Can anyone help my work out what I need to do in order to get my forum back?

Thanks,
Arnold
Tell me and I will forget
Show me and I might remember
But involve me and I will understand

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

Sir Osis of Liver

If you use FileZilla to d/l your attachments, be sure to set transfer type to binary.
When in Emor, do as the Snamors.
                              - D. Lister

warhonowicz

Thanks, that has helped me a bit ... I just have one issue at the moment. When I try to change my profile, i.e. I click on the link to go to http://the-mmc.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile I get an HTTP 500 error message. I have tried this with the core theme and the default curved theme as well as the one I am using. It simply does not work.

What I did was, after I got the forum up and running again, I ran the update to 2.0.11 (from 2.0.10).

Any ideas?

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

Illori

anything in your php error log? in the main folder of your install look for an error_log or similar named file.

Kindred

Check the chmod permissions of the files...  Make sure files are 644 and directories are 755
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

warhonowicz

Quote from: Illori on January 07, 2016, 06:59:42 PM
anything in your php error log? in the main folder of your install look for an error_log or similar named file.

I have some entries in my error log but they are not related to the profile, they come from a mod I have not yet been able to re-install and get working again.

Quote from: Kindred on January 07, 2016, 09:54:20 PM
Check the chmod permissions of the files...  Make sure files are 644 and directories are 755

They are, apart from a few TinyPortal related files in the /Sources directory, which are 666.

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

Kindred

1- correct the chmod...

2- check with your host.   Honestly, they should be able to tell you, fairly quickly, what is triggering the 500 error (that is a server-side error  --  chmod and htaccess are the most common causes of that which we deal with, but are not the only causes)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

warhonowicz

Have asked the host, so will wait and see what they say.

Another question I have though is about the avatars. Where were they stored? It seems all custom avatars have been lost and I cannot seem to find them in the files I downloaded either.

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

Kindred

well, they would be stored in whatever directory you set in your admin settings...

I think it defaults to "avatars" or it may include them in the attachments directory
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2016, 09:07:11 AM
I think it defaults to "avatars" or it may include them in the attachments directory

avatars that the admin uploads to the gallary are in the avatars folder, avatars users upload are in the attachments folder with a hashed file name. that is unless you are using a custom avatars folder, then they are somewhere else.

warhonowicz

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2016, 08:01:24 AM
1- correct the chmod...

2- check with your host.   Honestly, they should be able to tell you, fairly quickly, what is triggering the 500 error (that is a server-side error  --  chmod and htaccess are the most common causes of that which we deal with, but are not the only causes)

Have correct the chmod and the host has changed the php version used on my site ... so now, when I try to go to my profile I simply get a blank, white screen ...

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

margarett

Ask them to check PHP logs and server logs. That's where the cause will be ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

warhonowicz

This is the answer I got

The problem is related to a module on the site.

the-mmc.co.uk [Tue Jan 12 15:07:20 2016] [error] [client 80.90.193.161:56057] AH01215: PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function tp_getprofileareas() in /home/sites/the-mmc.co.uk/public_html/Sources/Profile.php on line 337: /home/sites/the-mmc.co.uk/public_html/index.php

I am using TinyPortal on my forum which seems to be working just fine ...

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

warhonowicz

and even after un-installing TP the profile did not work ...

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

margarett

tp_getprofileareas is not a TP function (at least not from the current version, which I have in my localhost) so I assume that it's a leftover from a previous version which wasn't correctly uninstalled.
Please attach Sources/Profile.php

You should also ask your host to provide you easy access to your PHP error log. You shouldn't have to ask them to get access to that log, it should be easy to get.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

lurkalot

I'm guessing the site was running TP 1.0 originally, and now is running TP 1.2 

TP 1.0 must be uninstalled before installing TP 1.2 to avoid these problems.

warhonowicz

Quote from: lurkalot on January 14, 2016, 01:39:04 PM
I'm guessing the site was running TP 1.0 originally, and now is running TP 1.2 

TP 1.0 must be uninstalled before installing TP 1.2 to avoid these problems.

Well, as you can see from the whole thread I had some issues with the site in general ...

anyway, have solved it now by un-installing all mods, then replacing the profile.php file with a clean copy and re-installing all mods. I can now access the profile no problem.

SMF 2.0.11 with TP 1.2

Advertisement: