SMF Vs. Fancy 'Modern' BB software like Vanilla, NodeBB

Started by Raion@BV, February 26, 2016, 01:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raion@BV

https://vanillaforums.org/

https://nodebb.org/

So there's all these fancy new forum software suites out these days, with shiny things and cool gadgets, like really huge avatars, Gravatars, immediate post-to-social-network functions, integrated Mobile software that conforms entirely with the Desktop software, etc etc,.

Personally, I prefer the old way of doing things, instead of all these unnecessary doodads, big buttons, and making everything look like an iOs or Android app, since I started using the Internet in the 1990's with a desktop computer, and continue to use a standard desktop with peripherals and a separate monitor, but I digress. 

Is the next SMF roadmap going to include all kinds of fancy, gee-whiz, shiny things like Vanilla and NodeBB?  Will there be a mobile version by default? Are the buttons going to be huge?  Will all the text be gigantic and brightly colored? 

Kindred

you can see the stuff discussing the 2.1 version in several places, including the team blogs, announcements and github

personally, I dislike the Vanilla design rather intensely...

While 2.1 has a new default theme which is responsive, there are no huge shiny text changes...   of course, everything that you mention is possible in SMF with mods or custom themes. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

I personally like Curve2 as is... But surely I have plans to make themes like Reddit (simple discussion based). Curve2 is more "forum" centric which (its my opinion) more community not just discussion.

Raion@BV

Quote from: Kindred on February 26, 2016, 02:22:01 PM
you can see the stuff discussing the 2.1 version in several places, including the team blogs, announcements and github

personally, I dislike the Vanilla design rather intensely...

While 2.1 has a new default theme which is responsive, there are no huge shiny text changes...   of course, everything that you mention is possible in SMF with mods or custom themes. :D

Yes, you can make your SMF installation look like Vanilla or NodeBB with extensions and modifications, which, I think, is very cool, and one of the high points of using this software..  We've been getting a lot of traffic from mobile users, so I was going to implement a mobile solution like Tapatalk or so on eventually, but I was wondering if you guys are going to do a default Mobile interface in the future.

I'll be frank: I hate both of them, NodeBB AND Vanilla.

I hate a lot of the 'New Internet' design theory that is mobile-centric.  You can see it with large corporate sites like TIME and so on, all the HUGE BUTTONS, bright flashy colors, big fonts... 

As I said, everything doesn't have to look like I'm using a mobile device.  While it's nice to have when I'm on a phone, or a tablet, it's awkward and ugly and looks like Playskool toys on my desktop.

vbgamer45

As I said, everything doesn't have to look like I'm using a mobile device.  While it's nice to have when I'm on a phone, or a tablet, it's awkward and ugly and looks like Playskool toys on my desktop.
I agree a lot of the interface is dumbed down.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

As I said, SMF 2.1 has a responsive theme.

http://test2.turtleshellprod.com

the goal is to get AWAY from mobile APPS (I already have way too many apps on my phone as it is) and use a web design that looks good on desktop and responds correctly/scales down on mobile devices.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Raion@BV

Quote from: Kindred on February 26, 2016, 04:03:43 PM

the goal is to get AWAY from mobile APPS (I already have way too many apps on my phone as it is) and use a web design that looks good on desktop and responds correctly/scales down on mobile devices.

Thanks!

It looks very modern and up-to-date.  I see big icons and chubby text. 

Bloc

SMF can easily be both - simple/big buttons/bright-colored/mobile-friendly AND complex/small buttons/subdued-colered/desktop-friendly ...and at the same time be responsive => meaning seamless transition beteween the two(or by user-choice even). It just to have the necessary css/template/theme changes.

Default theme have not(less so in 2.1 but still) - but third party themes certianly can.

SaltedWeb

It was and interesting topic so I thought I would chime in even though the thread is tad old my thoughts will still apply.

I have used allot of software and like the OP, been using the internet before it was even called that and we used BBS's.
I digress, I have tried and used about every forum software out there and many many of them fall flat. My first taste was in 2003 I was even a beta tester on this new SMF, but I went away until 2005 due to business commitments and didnt see it blossom. I hadlost my user name can't even recall what it was I think it was Diamond Computer or something. Anyways I have tried allot of forum software and why I am not and expert on SMF simply due to time constraint never allowing me to develop my use or a skill, I always have found that it was easy to climb back on the horse anytime over the last decade and use the software for a project, I think I have had about 25 forums over the years and only have used SMF on permanent bases.

My over view is simply this, SMF has a amazing dedicate staff, and many many users who lend a hand can be found. Most mod creators do so simply for the ability to make something they are proud to share. SMF is free as in zero cost ever.  I have used other software that is free only to find if you want to use it you must pay for addons or access to addons. SMF is free.
In turn many users of the software go out and create free access to there own SMF fourms . Its quite and amazing thing it you sit back and look at how SMF is presented, and provided is remarkable. It could be said that SMF is better at providing a great service then most anything out there.  They do not bombard you with ads, or constantly bug members for donation. Or force updates on you. Anyone with a smart phone has seen this on many droid based phones .

Other form software is not true forum software in my opinion, the only one who comes close is PHPBB, which I am not a fan of have tried it many times just not my cup of tea.

If I had to sum it up in one paragraph it would be this.

Simple Machines Forum, is a credit to that name. Its simplicity is what makes it easy to use, yet its simplicity is
also its strength. Its longevity speaks volumes and its attention to details is truly second to none. Many engineers fail to see practical applications. SMF, exceeds at Engineering and Development for the common man/women.  Imagine of such care was used in developing our healthcare systems and even construction of roadways ???  :P

I am grateful to have this software to use.

SW

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

feline

Quote from: Kindred on February 26, 2016, 04:03:43 PM

There is a bug in the css for mobile devices like a Nexus 5 .. see image.

The buttons AND the mobile Popup Menu is shown ... ;D

The second image is the correct version ..

Fel

Kindred

Do note that my test installation is significantly behind the current repo...  so that might already be fixed
Слaва
Украинi

Andreso

Quote from: Raion@BV on February 26, 2016, 01:56:55 PM
https://vanillaforums.org/ [nofollow]

https://nodebb.org/ [nofollow]

So there's all these fancy new forum software suites out these days, with shiny things and cool gadgets, like really huge avatars, Gravatars, immediate post-to-social-network functions, integrated Mobile software that conforms entirely with the Desktop software, etc etc,.

Personally, I prefer the old way of doing things, instead of all these unnecessary doodads, big buttons, and making everything look like an iOs or Android app, since I started using the Internet in the 1990's with a desktop computer, and continue to use a standard desktop with peripherals and a separate monitor, but I digress. 

Is the next SMF roadmap going to include all kinds of fancy, gee-whiz, shiny things like Vanilla and NodeBB?  Will there be a mobile version by default? Are the buttons going to be huge?  Will all the text be gigantic and brightly colored?

I like the classic SMF style, but i think that SMF needs some modern things too, mixing classic style with some modern features, or make two versions with classic and modern style. I think that the classic style with modern features is the best idea

Advertisement: