News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Site not generating error log

Started by Oboiro500, May 11, 2016, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oboiro500

Hi,
My SMF site is displaying white page. Reported to my ISP. I got the response that "Your site not triggering an error message in the apache log and the site is not generating it's own error log. (Last entry for the error log on your cpanel accoun tis from 2015. )

Please ask the person who is providing the script:

Is there any specific PHP version or module the script needs.
If they get the script to provide a more verbose error output. "

(Please not that there was a mistake before that my destinycontrolmetaphysics.org/index.ph+1d45+p file was missing. My ISP was looking at wrong folder, destinycontrolmetaphysics.org/
while  the index.php of my site is at
DestinyControlMetaphysics.org/
I started a topic that index.ph+1d45+p file was missing. I shall discontinue that.)

Kindred

if it is a true white screen (no text on the screen at all) then the SYSTEM should be generating an error log.
If it is not, then there is a problem with your HOST...    because SMF can not generate an error log if php itself is failing (which is usually the result of the WSoD)

the minimum requirements for SMF are http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Requirements_and_recommendations

but it would be much easier if your host or you would tell US what you are running.....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oboiro500

The screen is not showing anything at all. I am running Windows7.address is
My web address is http://destinycontrolmetaphysics.org/index.php

Oboiro500

My HOST has sent this:
"Your server is running
CloudLinux Server release 6.7

Since there is blank screen, please update the person that is providing the script with that information and let us know their response."

Kindred

My respobse? Get a new host who has a clue...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oboiro500

Hi,
I have always had my reservations about my host. I thought they were just lazy in their approach. But, my business must continue. Do you have suggestions of hosts that I can chose from? I am on a budget.

Oboiro500

I sent your response to my ISP that I should find another host that has a clue, and this is what they say:
"I looked into the error logs. I can confirm that the content is loaded from
/home/spirit/public_html/DestinyControlMetaphysics.org

And I can load any script, but index.php is not working.

When a blank page is loaded and no errors are logged by apache, then there is something incorrect in the configuration of that script. I am sorry, but detailed scripting support is beyond our scope.

If they have specific settings/modules that they need for this script , please advise which ones so we can check if we can provide them."

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm FTP access, I'll have a look.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

As a temporary 'let's see if we can see some error of some kind', change the following in index.php:
set_error_handler('error_handler');

to
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 'On');

This should, in theory, show us something. Even if it doesn't, we still learn something from it.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's a bit odd.  agreement.txt is in forum root, but subscriptions.php does not run, it usually throws an error if you link directly.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Not surprising; subscriptions.php loads SSI.php which loads a bunch of core files. So something's failing in a core file. In which case the above mentioned error_reporting() and ini_set should be pretty much the first thing in index.php.

Oboiro500

This is the reply from my host: "I made a copy of your index file and edited the lines, as requested. "
The web page opens  now with the whole page full of a bunch.
View the page here: http://www.destinycontrolmetaphysics.org/index.php.

Deprecated

My experience is that customer support knows nothing. Fix things on your own is the only realistic solution.

1. try adding a php file <?php echo"hello"; ?> and see if that works.

2. try adding a php file <?php phpinfo(); ?> and see if you can make head and tail of it.

3. try installing a fresh copy of SMF in a subdirectory like /forum/ and see if that works.

In software sometimes you have to try 1,000 things to get 1 thing to work.

nend

Quote from: Oboiro500 on May 13, 2016, 12:29:58 AM
This is the reply from my host: "I made a copy of your index file and edited the lines, as requested. "
The web page opens  now with the whole page full of a bunch.
View the page here: http://www.destinycontrolmetaphysics.org/index.php.

It looks like they left out the PHP tags, honestly I don't think they have a clue as to what they are doing.

Oboiro500

They asked earlier "Please ask the person who is providing the script:

Is there any specific PHP version or module the script needs.
If they get the script to provide a more verbose error output." And I sent this to you. Could you please provide the PHP tags?

Arantor

That's because that's their pre-written script and the only modules SMF needs, it would have told you about during installation if you didn't have them.

But since your host feels it's necessary:
* ext/MySQL
* gd
* bcmath if using OpenID
* some mods like SimpleXML
* some mods also use JSON which wasn't core until 5.3 or so

Your host is still incompetent though.

Oboiro500

Oboiro500

This is their response: "If I understood correctly,there should be some changes in index.php script.

Please note that, as my colleague already said, detailed scripting support is beyond our scope.

For any further assistance feel free to contact us.
We will gladly help you."

What next? You agree that the issue is indeed with the script. Even if I have to change my host, this issue with the script needs to be resolved immediately.

Illori

if you change hosts, you may get something in the error log like you should be getting now and we can resolve the issue.

you could try http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files but i bet there are other issues on the server.

Advertisement: