'Incorrect password' threshold (perhaps forcing a lockout) ?

Started by aegersz, August 09, 2016, 12:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

This may be in the wrong place so I apologise for that but I wonder if there is a setting and action for when too many password attempts that may result in any type of lockout ?

I see the log is full of many attempts and I wonder if I can stop that possibly opportunistic behaviour ?

Or should I consider installing http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2181 ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Arantor

There isn't a setting but if a user tries three times in a row it takes them to the forgotten password screen.

Having a lockout would be bad as it would lock legitimate users, eg yourself, out of the system.

aegersz

... so then you wouldn't recommend that mod ?

one more thing, can i change the value of the built-in "3 failures and we send you to the forgotten password screen" ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Arantor

No, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Also, there's no setting for it, nor should it be changed because users can and do legitimately forget or mistype their passwords.

aegersz

I have tested the mod and it conflicts with what SMF wants to do, sends duplicate emails and you are right, it's a great way for someone to lock me out of everything (my IP changes too).

i will not install the mod after careful consideration and your advice.

Thanks.

Advertisement: