Joomla <-> SMF - no communication during user login?

Started by sastrugi, October 30, 2005, 06:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sastrugi

Hi,

I have a Joomla 1.0.3 + SMF 1.1 RC1 set-up with Orstio's bridge. Joomla and SMF use the same DB.

The Joomla login modules I am trying to get working are either the login that comes with Orstio's bridge or Community Builder's login. Logging in with Administrator rights, the problem I have is as follows:

1.) If I use Orstio's login module for Joomla, with the bridge set up correctly for SMF login, I can login via the Joomla index page and it takes me to directly SMF where I am logged in as the correct user with the correct permissions. However when I go back to the Joomla front page using the wrapped Joomla navigation panel/meu, then Joomla does not recognise me as logged in at all.

NB. I have the bridge set up to take me to the Joomla[Mambo] front page at teh very beginning but the SMF/Orstio login takes me to the wrapped SMF front page no matter what.

2.) If I set everything up to use Community Builder login (same bridge but set-up for CB) I can login and Joomla recognises me with the correct rights but when I navigate via my menu option to the wrapped SMF it presents me with the standard SMF login page.

Summary:
I can login via Joomla's front page with CB login module and Joomla sees me and SMF does not or I can login via the same page with SMF/Orstio's login module and SMF sees me but Joomla does not.

Is there something I'm missing to get Joomla and SMF working together?

Cheers

Sas_

Orstio

Do you have a URL?

The CB login will not work with the bridge.  It is pointless to even try it.

sastrugi

Quote from: Orstio on October 30, 2005, 07:00:53 PM
Do you have a URL?

http://thenmc.org.uk/cms [nofollow] (>Forum option for SMF wrapped)
http://thenmc.org.uk/community [nofollow] (for the standalone install of SMF)

(The Joomla site is work in progress, the SMF standalone is live)

Quote from: Orstio on October 30, 2005, 07:00:53 PM

I thought I'd read a post that said it worked as from the current version of the bridge? (I'm using 3.19a)

Can I also ask then, in the SMF-Forum component config option, what does the option "SMF Forum Integration>Use Bridge Registration" actually activate?

On this last point I notice that the Simple Machines Forum Registration component has the following text next to a check box:

"Also register into Community Builder? (You must have Community Builder already installed, and be using Bridge Registration)"

Does the sum of the above mean that a user can register via the SMF route and their details are passed to Joomla/CB but that if they log in to Joomla/CB then they are not subsequently recognised by SMF?

:-\ I'm confused.

Cheers,

Orstio

QuoteQuote from: Orstio on Today at 07:00:53 PM

I thought I'd read a post that said it worked as from the current version of the bridge? (I'm using 3.19a)

You misread.  The bridge registration registers users into CB as well as Mambo and SMF.  The bridge does not change the CB login module, and the CB login module has no way of setting a SMF cookie, so that module cannot possibly work to login to SMF.  It will never matter what version of the bridge you use:  Unless the developers of CB make it possible to set a SMF cookie with their module, it will not work.

QuoteCan I also ask then, in the SMF-Forum component config option, what does the option "SMF Forum Integration>Use Bridge Registration" actually activate?

This forces all registration links to point to the bridge registration, instead of the SMF registration.

Quote"Also register into Community Builder? (You must have Community Builder already installed, and be using Bridge Registration)"

Does the sum of the above mean that a user can register via the SMF route and their details are passed to Joomla/CB but that if they log in to Joomla/CB then they are not subsequently recognised by SMF?

Logging in and registering are two very different things.  Registering is what you do to get an account.  Logging in is using that account.

If a user registers via Mambo/Joomla, that user will not be passed to SMF.  If a user registers via SMF or via the bridge registration component, that user will be passed to both Mambo/Joomla and SMF.

Again, the bridge does not change anything in Mambo/Joomla.  Therefore, because Mambo/Joomla is not designed to write to the SMF tables, a user is not created there if you use anything other than the bridge components/modules.

sastrugi

Quote from: Orstio on October 30, 2005, 08:51:38 PM
This should fix your login issue:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=20952.msg358837#msg358837

Sorry, I should have got back to you on this, yes it did (and thanks for the clarification on the other points)(I  thought I'd posted on that??)(no worries).

Advertisement: