News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Another Paid Subscription problem

Started by ace123, June 04, 2017, 05:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

how about a redirect board that redirect to the paid subs page?

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions will link to that page for all users.

ace123

Ok - thanks - that's clearer but I still think it looks a bit clunky.

I have to ditch all the post based groups - due to the fact that subscribers with 0 posts wont be able to see the forum. Seems extreme.

PLUS.... change the permissions of "regular members" (ie new registrants) to not read anything on the forum and then hope they subscribe.

Can't believe I'm the only person whos gone through this and thought that SMF may be the wrong medium. Has anyone got an SMF  forum that has an easy accessible subscription option .... and looks good?

I've been with SMF for ages but it all looks like I'm having to build a plane out of rubber bands and glue when there may be a serviceable jet around the corner ...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: ace123 on February 08, 2018, 01:02:08 PM
I have to ditch all the post based groups - due to the fact that subscribers with 0 posts wont be able to see the forum. Seems extreme.
If you make subscribers go to a new group that has access - then the 0 post group not having access will not be a problem, and all subscribers will get access through the subscriber group.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

you also canNOT remove the 0 post count group or VERY bad things will happen if you figure out how.

Kindred

And you don't have to "ditch" any group.

SMF permissions are INCLUSIVE.  This means that if ANY group gives a user permissions to do something, then the user can do that thing.

So, you can leave the post-count groups and turn OFF the post-count permissions....
or, you can set all of the post-count group permissions to "disallow"....   and then set permissions within the regular member or assigned groups to "allow" for the permissions that you want them to have.

The one exception to this is the DENY permission. If you use this DENY, then the users in that group will never be able to do that action regardless of any allow.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Disallow_and_Deny_-_What%27s_the_difference_when_it_comes_down_to_permissions
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you trying to make your forum subscription only for all members?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

ace123

Hi Sir O

Yes. That's all I want.

I'd also like that new members are prompted to pay when they register ......and then they click - pay - and have full access. voila!

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help BTW but at the moment I am floundering

I haven't been a lazy bum and not searched for answers to this.... there are parts of answers: "What you need is a portal" "Just reassign the membergroup" but for a newbie it's like doing a rubic cube in the dark except you may end up fracking up your whole forum with the wrong click.

Sir Osis of Liver

So basically you want new members to subscribe as part of registration process?

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

There's no core feature that let's you do that, but believe I did it for a forum a while back.  Will have to find it a see if it works in 2.0.15.  Give me a few minutes.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, now pay attention and backup your files before you try this.

/Sources/LogInOut.php

$_SESSION['log_time'] = 0;

/// redirect nonsubscribers to Profile -> Paid Subscriptions
if ($user_settings['id_group'] != '1' && $user_settings['id_group'] != '11')
$_SESSION['login_url'] = $scripturl . '?action=profile;area=subscriptions';

// Just log you back out if it's in maintenance mode and you AREN'T an admin.

This will send new member directly to Profile -> Paid Subscriptions when they login after account activation.  You need id_group for your subscription group, it's 11 in this example.

/Themes/default/languages/ManagePaid.english.php

$txt['paid_subs_desc'] = '<span style="font-size: 120%; color: red;">You must be a subscriber to access all content and features available on this forum.</span>';

This will display appropriate message in Subscriptions header, edit to suit.

You need to disable guest browsing in Admin -> Features and Options, so nonmembers see login window with register link.  You can edit the text in window to suit -

/Themes/default/languages/Login.english.php

$txt['warning'] = 'Welcome to XYZ Forum';
$txt['only_members_can_access'] = '<span style="color: red;">You must be a registered member and subscriber to access all content and features available on this forum.</span>';

Give it a go and see what you get.

- R. Waters

ace123

Thanks Sir O!!!

I'm going to get my tech guru in Kyiv to have a crack at it tomorrow

I'll report back.

Blue wire.

red wire.

Sir Osis of Liver

Once you have that working, you'll need to do stuff with permissions to restrict nonsubscriber access.  Tinkering with that now.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The permissions side of things should be fairly easy if you only want to give people access as a subscriber.
Just go through all the boards, and make sure the only group with access is the subscriber group ( and any other you wish to separately allow, like staff ).
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ace123

Hats off to Sir O

It's Alive!!!! And working!!!

many thanks!!

Advertisement: