News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problems with upgrading using package manager

Started by bahgheera, January 14, 2018, 04:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahgheera

Hi all. I have SMF 2.0.7 running, and I really need to upgrade it. I managed to get it up to 2.0.9, but when it was at 2.0.8 and I tried to update, it said there were errors. I looked at the files and lo and behold, some of them were already upgraded to 2.0.9. I installed the 2.0.9 update, and now I am working on 2.0.10, but now there are files that already say 2.0.14. What is going on here? Any help would be appreciated - this forum is about twelve years old now and I *really* don't want to trash it. Thanks for any info!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

What edits give errors when you try to update?
What files are showing 2.0.14?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

bahgheera

Thanks for the response.

./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php, the package is looking for '2.0.8 to replace it with 2.0.10'. But the file itself contains the line '// Version: 2.0.14; index'.

Upon further investigation, I see that some of the files that return Test Succesful actually contain an error if you expand the header. For example, ./Sources/ManageServer.php says test succesful but when you expand it, there are two items - one says test succesful, the other says test failed (ignore errors). Also, ./Sources/Subs-Post.php says test successful but both items in it have test failed (ignore errors). I wonder now if the previous upgrade packages had errors that I didn't even notice because of this?

bahgheera

I've gone through a lot of the errors and all of them so far are showing that they've already been updated to the new version. I think I can probably go ahead and install the package, ignoring the errors.

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you have a lot of mods or customizations running?  If not, you'd be better off uploading 2.0.15 upgrade package, that will give you a clean install.  Your content is in the database, it's not affected by version updates.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: bahgheera on January 14, 2018, 05:34:24 PM
Thanks for the response.

./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php, the package is looking for '2.0.8 to replace it with 2.0.10'. But the file itself contains the line '// Version: 2.0.14; index'.
Language file, this update only changes the version number and the copyright year. Not a problem, you can ignore this.

Quote from: bahgheera on January 14, 2018, 05:34:24 PM
Upon further investigation, I see that some of the files that return Test Succesful actually contain an error if you expand the header. For example, ./Sources/ManageServer.php says test succesful but when you expand it, there are two items - one says test succesful, the other says test failed (ignore errors). Also, ./Sources/Subs-Post.php says test successful but both items in it have test failed (ignore errors). I wonder now if the previous upgrade packages had errors that I didn't even notice because of this?
You may want to take a look at the edits to see for yourself what the update is doing, and if the changes are in fact already there or if they fail for some other reason. https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/index.php?action=upgrade;file=smf_patch_1.1.21_2.0.10.zip;smf_version=2.0.9

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 14, 2018, 09:44:17 PM
Do you have a lot of mods or customizations running?  If not, you'd be better off uploading 2.0.15 upgrade package, that will give you a clean install.  Your content is in the database, it's not affected by version updates.
If you do not have many mods installed, this could be a good idea - use the Large upgrade, then reinstall mods you need.
( Do note, any modifications done to custom themes will remain in them, but all custom code done to the default theme will be removed. )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

bahgheera

So I guess at this point, my question is *why* are the changes already there? And secondary, why does it say test successful even though it has failed some things but those failures say ignore errors? I am so confused. Thanks for the responses!

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you use a host installer to set up the forum?  Some of them do auto updates.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

bahgheera

No. Everything is manual. I have downloaded the themes and sources dirs for backup, I'm gonna go for it.

Kindred

it says "ignore errors" because that's what we told it to do.
Some people have one version of a previous upgrade... some people have another -- that's why the errors are ignored.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bahgheera

Quote from: Kindredit says "ignore errors" because that's what we told it to do.

So what does that mean? Does that mean *I* ignore the error?

Kindred

It means that the system can ignore the errors therefore you can ignore them
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bahgheera

Ok, thanks for the reply. I pulled the trigger and now I'm upgraded to 2.0.15. Thank God that's over.

Advertisement: