News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

"Send This Topic" shows host server account

Started by schoolclubsforum, February 13, 2018, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schoolclubsforum

Using SMF 2.015

When I use "Send this Topic" from a post, my current email address is already included in the field "Your email address".

When I send the message, the recipient of the message gets it, but is NOT seeing an email from this address. Instead they see the message as coming from the account of the hosting server, which is nothing like the sending email address.

On top of this, Virgin Media email accounts will not receive this message which seems to come from my server account address.

Is this problem caused by a setting in SMF or by my hosting company Siteground?
If it is caused by my hosting company, what do I ask them to change?

Thanks for any advice.

drewactual

it's the server hosting configuration with little doubt.

attempt this:

add to your htaccess this line, substituting with your email information you want the messages sent from:

php_value sendmail_from youremailaccount@yoursitedotwhateveritis

this is an attempt to override the configuration of the server's php.ini or httpd, which is where they plugged in the account information you're seeing.  if they did that, i'd be surprised if they won't let you change it via htaccess as the line above does.  since it's sending mail, i'm guessing the ports don't need to be overridden so they won't need to be addressed.    if you run into trouble using this, google up 'php sendmail in htaccess' to learn more.

Kindred

that should not be necessary.
SMF sends all system emails from the email address set up as the admin email in the admin settings.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

drewactual

^ i didn't know that... I was under the spell that using phpmail as opposed to the SMTP simply used the php function, which may have collected the username from SMF settings, but still used the name (if populated) in the ini or httpd to send... most hosts leave this blank and let the downwind figure it out instead of a top level directive- and i was guessing schoolclubsforum's host had populated that field with their own credentials.  the line i offered would override (hopefully) that top level setting.

thanks- learn something new about this thing every day!

schoolclubsforum

Thanks for the ideas.

I contacted my host and they said that SMF was sending out emails with "2 From Headers". These emails were bouncing into my default email account on the server.

So I played around with various settings.

I got the "Send this Topic" working by changing SMF settings, going to admin, mail, and changing the email settings.
I had been using the detault php setting, so I switched the setting to SMTP using port 25.

Now the "Send this Topic" sends emails with the from address being whatever has been added to the form.

I have no idea why this feature stopped working or when, but it now seems to be working again.

Advertisement: