News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Who has Read this Topic

Started by Doug Heffernan, March 04, 2018, 04:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Heffernan

Link to Mod

This mod is will give your staff members who have permissions to moderate forums to view the users that who have read topics.

There are no settings for this mod. After installation a new button called Log Views will appear on topics below the title. Click it and a list of all users who read that topic will be displayed.

If you have any questions post them in the mod 's support topic.

-Rock Lee-

A simple and very good modification I really congratulate you. I leave the translation to Latin Spanish!

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.spanish_latin.php" error="Skip">
<operation>
<search position="end" />
<add><![CDATA[$txt['topic_viewers_link'] = 'Registro de vistas';
$txt['topic_viewers'] = 'Aqu&iacute; puede ver la lista de todos los usuarios que leen el tema:';]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.spanish_latin-utf8.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<search position="end" />
<add><![CDATA[$txt['topic_viewers_link'] = 'Registro de vistas';
$txt['topic_viewers'] = 'Aquí puede ver la lista de todos los usuarios que leen el tema:';]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Kindred

So, question...  without looking at the mod code, I can't tell...  but how does this mod track who has read a topic?   Are all topics tracked?

If there's is not a new table, this mod will be less than accurate, as I could mark a topic read by marking ALL topics read, but never actually have physically read the tracked one(s)

If it is a new table, your talking huge overhead...     if I have a forum with over 3 million posts in a 500,000 topics....   tracking each thread would quickly overrun the database with data.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vii

Quote from: Kindred on March 04, 2018, 11:06:31 PM
So, question...  without looking at the mod code, I can't tell...  but how does this mod track who has read a topic?   Are all topics tracked?

If there's is not a new table, this mod will be less than accurate, as I could mark a topic read by marking ALL topics read, but never actually have physically read the tracked one(s)

If it is a new table, your talking huge overhead...     if I have a forum with over 3 million posts in a 500,000 topics....   tracking each thread would quickly overrun the database with data.

That's true. This mod does pluck entries from log_topics. Adding a new column to the log_topics table along the lines of "type" could be used to separate actual page views from users simply marking it as read without viewing. Leaving a default value of 0 to signify an actual view, and modifying a line or two in the MarkRead function would suffice I think. That would solve the accuracy issue while mitigating data overload as well. Mark board as read does still present a problem though.

Shambles

Not looked at the mod (other than the posted screenshots) but how does it differ from Topic View Log mod?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Kindred on March 04, 2018, 11:06:31 PM

Yes, all topics are tracked and it does not add a new table. It makes use of the smf_log_topics table.

It displays only users who have actually/physically read a topic.

Quote from: Shambles on March 05, 2018, 02:28:50 AM
Not looked at the mod (other than the posted screenshots) but how does it differ from Topic View Log mod?

To be honest I do not know as I was not aware of that mod until your post.

Kindred

Quote from: doug_ips on March 05, 2018, 05:43:11 AM
Yes, all topics are tracked and it does not add a new table. It makes use of the smf_log_topics table.

You make two statements, which are contradictory.

If you are using the log_topics table, then you have an issue.
If I "mark all topics as read" then the entries in log_topics for my user number are cleared, because I have read everything to that point.

So, depending on how your logic works, either it will mark me as having read the topic by clicking "mark as read" -- or, if I have read the topic previously, it will now mark me as NOT having read the topic.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Kindred on March 05, 2018, 09:32:21 AM
Quote from: doug_ips on March 05, 2018, 05:43:11 AM

You make two statements, which are contradictory.

If you are using the log_topics table, then you have an issue.
If I "mark all topics as read" then the entries in log_topics for my user number are cleared, because I have read everything to that point.

So, depending on how your logic works, either it will mark me as having read the topic by clicking "mark as read" -- or, if I have read the topic previously, it will now mark me as NOT having read the topic.

I see now what you mean Kindred. Yes, you are right.

SaidJan

I want to bring this "Topic Viewer" to the topic page, not a button to click on. How is it possible?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: SaidJan on April 20, 2018, 01:31:18 AM
I want to bring this "Topic Viewer" to the topic page, not a button to click on. How is it possible?

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean?

jack208

Thanks for this mod. It works fine on my ver 2.0.15 site.

However I notice it does not seem to work for topics in child boards ie I do not see the View Log button. Can anyone else who uses this mod confirm my observation? TQ

Advertisement: