Failure during install - Some of the queries were not executed properly

Started by Sigod, April 24, 2018, 03:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigod

Hello,
     I have been trying to install the forum software on a Debian 9 box running Apache 2.  I have full access to the box so I can do whatever I need to do on it.  After i add the smf database and an smf user to access it,  I run the install via the web.  When I get to step 5 it gives me the following message.

--------
Your settings have now been saved and the database has been populated with all the data required to get your forum up and running. Summary of population:

Created 62 tables.
Inserted 777 rows.
Some of the queries were not executed properly. This could be caused by an unsupported (development or old) version of your database software.

Technical information about the queries:
Line #1338:
Line #1346:
Click "Continue" to progress to the admin account creation page.
-----------

If i continue on the install it will finish but when i go to access the forum for the first time it just pops up the error message table not found.  I look at the tables and show enough there is no message table.  I look at the mysql install file and look for the message table create string and run it manually and pops up the error

ERROR 1071 (42000): Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

This is running MariaDb Server version: 10.1.26-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Debian 9.1 instead of the straight up MySql from Oracle so I don't know if thats the issue or not, but it's a fork of the project so I wouldn't think that would be it. Anyone have any clue?

Thanks

-Lee

Kindred

technically, we don't support MariaDB...   there are some configurations that trigger errors throughout the code. It could be (and sounds like) you found one in the installer (which is the first I've heard of an issue there, but as MariaDB diverges further from MySQL, there will be others)
Слова
Украина

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley." - Robert Burns

adaminato

I encountered the same problem. I was installing in a test environment I had installed once successfully, the second environment failed with the same message.  I dropped the tables and replaced the Settings.php file and attempted a second install in the second environment and I had success.
The only difference between the failed install and the successful install was making sure that the default character encoding was UTF-8. This is unselected by default in the install script and forced the fail. Selecting it caused the install to be successful.

yh555


ABCDiamond

Quote from: adaminato on August 13, 2018, 02:49:31 PM
I encountered the same problem. I was installing in a test environment I had installed once successfully, the second environment failed with the same message.  I dropped the tables and replaced the Settings.php file and attempted a second install in the second environment and I had success.
The only difference between the failed install and the successful install was making sure that the default character encoding was UTF-8. This is unselected by default in the install script and forced the fail. Selecting it caused the install to be successful.

Thank you.

I tried installing a few times and had the same problem. 
When going to the forum I got a message saying "Table 'mydatabase-name.prefix_messages' doesn't exist"

I then found your post, and ticked the UTF-8 box on the next attempt.

It worked, and all is now good.

Thank you again.

Advertisement: