News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Concerted to SMF Manually and Funny Characters Appeared

Started by mattizzy, July 21, 2018, 01:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattizzy

Hello, I recently moved to SMF from a self created forum script. I just backed up my database and created another database called BACKUO and inserted all data from the self created forum script.

I head over to SMF database which will created on install, I used a php command to insert data from BACKUP to SMF and I started seeing “ ,”, ‘ e.t.c in between posts. can you explain why this happened and how to fix?
I am only an SMF Addict. I think I took overdose.

shawnb61

You wrote the conversion script yourself?

There is something wrong with your charset in conversion.

First guess is your script didn't issue a  SET NAMES to get mysqli thinking in UTF8.

Charset of source db?   Charset of smf?  Did you issue a SET NAMES in your converter?   Or issue a mysqli_set_charset()?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

mattizzy

Yes I created it my self crested with regular php INSERT SELECT Statement. by inserting from My Custom Site DB to SMF DB

shawnb61

Charset of source db? 
Charset of smf?
Did you issue a SET NAMES in your converter?   
Or issue a mysqli_set_charset()?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

mattizzy

Character of Custom site DB UTF8mb_Unicode,

Charset of SMF is UTF8_general_ci

shawnb61

mattizzy

Quote from: shawnb61 on July 21, 2018, 09:46:15 AM
Charset of source db? 
Charset of smf?

How can I know the charset, is the collocation prefix the charset?

Tell me how to set names also so I can run the script again?

The source DB and SMF DB are using the same collocation. latin1_swedish_ci

but the columns collocation are fluctuating from utf8_general_ci to utf8_bin respectively e.t.c

shawnb61

Yes, the charset is the prefix on the collation.  latin1_swedish_ci is the "latin1" charset (aka ISO 8859-1) with the swedish_ci collation. 

The reason it is easy to get confused is that MySQL has a hierarchy of defaults so you can see different settings depending on where you look.  There is a database-level default, that is used when making records.  There are also record-level defaults used when adding columns. 

Despite this, when making updates to MySQL databases, you need to inform it what charset you're working with via SET NAMES or mysqli_set_charset(). 
   https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1650591/whether-to-use-set-names

IMO, it really oughta know what it's updating & not be told what it's updating...   But it nonetheless does need to be told via SET NAMES or mysqli_set_charset().  Without doing so bad things happen. 

So...

My suggestion is to:
(1) Modify your code to issue a SET NAMES utf8.
(2) Modify your database-level default to be utf8_general_ci (so mods don't introduce a bunch of latin1/swedish tables/columns by accident...)
(3) Reinstall SMF so everything is consistently utf8_general_ci (the SMF default when UTF8 is specified).
(4)  Try your converter again & see if the SET NAMES fixes your conversion...

Hope this helps,

Advertisement: