News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Host Screwed Up My SMF Forum

Started by Paffman, July 23, 2018, 07:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paffman

Long story short, my 'host' has screwed my forum up. I have done a search for what I am about to ask, but being a newbie would like to ask the age old question.....

If I install a fresh copy of SMF to my host, how can I upload a saved database backup to that fresh install or is it not that simple?

I seem to remember many years ago just installing a new SMF and uploading my saved database and I am sure that it worked, but this time I am struggling.

Many thanks for your help and sorry to bring up this old chestnut again.

Steve

Paffman

Thank you for that link. I already have the virgin state of SMF, but how do I then upload my backed up database? As the fresh install of SMF has a different database name.

Kindred

you went about it in the wrong way...   you should have followed the instructions in the FAQ link.

However, restore your database - if you have a SMALL forum, you can probable do so in phpmyadmin (import)
if it's not fairly small, though, you may have to do so via the hosting panel restore....

or, maybe, if the original database is still there on the same host, just change the connection details in the Settings.php file from your fresh install...  and then use repair_settings.php to correct all of the URLs and paths.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Paffman

Thanks.

OK, I have tried to 'import' the saved database via phpmyadmin, but as the old DB is abc.sql and the fresh SFM database is a different database name, it just updates the old original DB from the screwed SMF DB.

Sorry I must be missing something here  :-\

njtweb

Most hosting providers have a backup of everything, you just have to pay a fee to have it restored. Hostgator blew away 2 sites of mine, one on SMF and the other on vbulletin 4 years ago. They refused to take responsibility and charged me $110 to restore both. I paid it because there was no way I was going to win that battle. You should definitely check with them to see if they can restore your site before you go through the pain of trying to get everything set back up the way you had it.

Paffman

Quote from: njtweb on July 23, 2018, 08:48:02 AM
Most hosting providers have a backup of everything, you just have to pay a fee to have it restored. Hostgator blew away 2 sites of mine, one on SMF and the other on vbulletin 4 years ago. They refused to take responsibility and charged me $110 to restore both. I paid it because there was no way I was going to win that battle. You should definitely check with them to see if they can restore your site before you go through the pain of trying to get everything set back up the way you had it.

Yeah you would have thought so wouldn't you, but my 'hosts' said that they are ALL infected and can't restore. They lost ALL my websites and forums twice in two weeks!!! Got most back except this one... I won't name names, but I am ANGRY !

Kindred

njtweb, that is not necessary... the OP *HAS* a valid backup.

Paffman,

in phpmyadmin, you can import your backup into an existing database...   however, restoring the backup into the originally named database to a new database is fine as well.
Do that.
Then edit Settings.php in your forum root directory and enter the NEW databae info (db name, username, password) and use repair_settings.php to correct the URLs and paths form your original installation to match your new installation.

Alternatively...   get a better host. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Paffman

Many thanks Kindred, I will get a better host when I have sorted this mess out.

I have edited the new DB with the original DB details, just the ########## Database Info ##########

Now I get "Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later." message.

Then I downloaded the repair_settings.php from SMF and uploaded to my forum root dir and corrected suggested edits.

Now what ?

Illori

something you entered is not correct, it could be the database server, database username or password. you need to figure out which is wrong and needs to be fixed. since we dont have access to that information we cannot tell you what is wrong.

mattizzy

Quote from: Paffman on July 23, 2018, 12:09:56 PM
Many thanks Kindred, I will get a better host when I have sorted this mess out.

I have edited the new DB with the original DB details, just the ########## Database Info ##########

Now I get "Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later." message.

Then I downloaded the repair_settings.php from SMF and uploaded to my forum root dir and corrected suggested edits.

Now what ?

This could be as a result of wrong db details Settings.php
I am only an SMF Addict. I think I took overdose.

Paffman

Many thanks for all your help.

I now have a white page with the text and links, so the theme seems to be missing.

Here is the URL - http://oilheatingnetwork.co.uk

Steve

SychO

No the theme isn't missing, you have changed your domain name, so you need to change all paths

Use the Repair Settings Tool
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Paffman

Exactly.... thank you. I have already used repair_settings (and removed it afterwards).

And manually adjusted the links to the default theme, all seems to be working now!!

Fantastic!!

Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction, you are all awesome  :)

Now to move it to a reliable host. Any recommendations? 

Paffman

Just before I go...

What can I do to tighten up security on this forum?

Steve

Kindred

In what regards?   As to antispam, or with regards to hackers?
Слaва
Украинi

Paffman

Quote from: Kindred on July 24, 2018, 09:46:13 PM
In what regards?   As to antispam, or with regards to hackers?

Hackers mainly.

What permissions etc for certain .php files

Thanks.
Steve

Kindred

SMF has no known vulnerabilities as of 2.0.15.

Chmod 755 for directories, 644 for files is usually fine
Слaва
Украинi

Paffman

Advertisement: