News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Can you still run the forum in case upgrade patching results in some fails?

Started by Sono, December 04, 2018, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sono

I have just updated my SMF 2.0.6 to 2.0.15. I have archived everything, so in case needed I can reinstate all the original stuff.

During patching, I only had 2 fails on the default theme and core files: the 2.0.7 and 2.0.8 patch reported fails when trying to update the News.php file in Sources. Is this a big problem? I though I can check it later during the week and add sections myself.

There was a bigger problem with my mobile theme, that is SMF4Mobile, the old version. That reported many fails throughout the updates, so I omitted applying any update to its files.

The forum is still running, so is the mobile theme. Do you think I can open it to the public again, or risky? What I really worry about that some errors will mess up the database. Is this a possibility, or in this regard I don't need to worry about? In case it can be a problem, I change hosting and stick to the good old version.

Kindred

why do people insist on continuing to install mods or patches when the system indicates a failure?

Yes, if you ignored the warnings and did not manually apply the changes then you potentially have problems.
EVERY time there is a failure int he automatic process, you should IMMEDIATELY apply those changes manually, if you intend to continue installing the mod or patch.
"playing catch up later" can potentially put your site in an insecure or even broken state.

As for themes....   I'm betting that the failures happened with the login fixes. So, if your theme has a login, and the patch was not fully applied, then users may not be able to log in at all.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sono

Okay, I drop this option then. So what do you suggest I should do now?

Should I just uninstall the patchea, and repeate the upgrading with the upgrade tool, or by now this is messed up too much, and I should restore the files from the backup first from before the patching, and go on that way.

Did the patching change things in the database as well, or that don't need to be restored?

br360

If you didn't have too many new members and posts since you started the patch, personally the best option would be to do a restore from a backup you had right before you started patching (2.0.6)

Then you can try to patch up again until you get the errors. Once you do, you can post for support-but we will tell you you are going to have to manually edit the code in the template(s) that failed to add/edit. etc the changes the new patch makes.

This link will help you be able to do that- https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

There were no database changes in any of those patch versions

Sono

So just restoring the forum files to the ftp, no database restore from before patching?

Since patching my forum is in maintenance mode, so no new posts members.

Looking

As a rule... no matter what you do... ALWAYS make a backup first of all files and your DB first so if something goes wrong nothing is lost.

Sono

Okay, so I am deleting the recent forum files and copying back the ones that I archived before the upgrading. After the archived forum is back on the server, do I need to set permissions manually? If yes, is there any guide which files and folders need what permissions?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: