News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

let guests see the attachments but not download?

Started by supernova777, January 05, 2019, 08:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernova777

is this possible?
ie: to encourage guests to register

a10

Am seeing some (non smf) forums offering only (more or less bad quality) thumbnails to visitors. Personally, it's more an irritation than an inspiration to join.

Evaluate if allowing visitors to access as much interesting \ quality content as possible could over time be the better way to make a good impression \ get new members.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Illori

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Massl

Thanks for the mod, it's useful for me too  :P
Is it compatible with 2.1 RC1?

supernova777

it would be better for me if the file attachment (non images) were shown, and then when guests try to click a popup window instructing them that they need to sign up + register to gain access to the file attachments.. this would be really great

is this what your mod does?

vbgamer45

No it adds a seperate permission for downloading/viewing.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

SpacePhoenix

It might partly depend on what type of files the attachments will be, what type are they (documents, pictures, music, etc)?

Arantor

It's a really good way to get people to join, see whatever, and never come back. Or, simply leave, and never come back.

Either way, not useful to you.

GigaWatt

Quote from: a10 on January 05, 2019, 08:46:49 AM
Am seeing some (non smf) forums offering only (more or less bad quality) thumbnails to visitors. Personally, it's more an irritation than an inspiration to join.

Quote from: Arantor on January 06, 2019, 04:43:31 AM
It's a really good way to get people to join, see whatever, and never come back. Or, simply leave, and never come back.

Depends on the content you're trying to view/download. If it's available only there and I really need it, then yes, I for one would join ;).

Once again, I'll stress the nature of the forum and the content/attachments it's members share.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

supernova777

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on January 06, 2019, 02:30:17 AM
It might partly depend on what type of files the attachments will be, what type are they (documents, pictures, music, etc)?

hard to find driver files, text documentation etc in this case

Arantor

So you guarantee users sign up, download and leave.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Arantor on January 08, 2019, 07:35:56 PM
So you guarantee users sign up, download and leave.

If there are more files like the one they downloaded and they want to download them, no, they'll probably come back. With time, they might even interact.

Again, this works on some types of boards, not all of them... in fact, very few from what I've seen, but they're not non-existent.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: supernova777 on January 08, 2019, 07:29:12 PM
Quote from: SpacePhoenix on January 06, 2019, 02:30:17 AM

hard to find driver files, text documentation etc in this case

Don't think the market would be there for hard to find drivers when sites like driverguide.com exist and have them for free. What sort of stuff do you mean with "text documentation"? Have you googled to see if any other site has the same stuff for free without signing-up and logging-in?

supernova777

my sites content is related to music making equipment from 30+ years ago
some things are not available elsewhere online yes

Arantor

It doesn't really matter, users who have to register just to download still won't typical become good community members.

Advertisement: