News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Amazon SES and SMF

Started by coolindark, March 18, 2019, 03:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolindark

Hello. I'm planning to implement Amazon SES for sending registration and announcement emails in SMF 2.0.15.
However, since SMF don't have option to specify sender address (only SMTP username & password option) how is going to work?

A quick experience would be lovely to understand.
Thanks!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Amazon SES does have an SMTP interface, should work just fine. In theory. ( Just may want to change the forum administrator's e-mail to the same address as well. )
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

coolindark

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 18, 2019, 03:28:29 AM
Amazon SES does have an SMTP interface, should work just fine. In theory. ( Just may want to change the forum administrator's e-mail to the same address as well. )

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know that Amazon has SMTP interface. My only question is how can i specify the sender address in SMTP? As far as i understand from your reply, the administrator e-mail address is also the SMTP sender address then?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: coolindark on March 18, 2019, 03:39:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know that Amazon has SMTP interface. My only question is how can i specify the sender address in SMTP? As far as i understand from your reply, the administrator e-mail address is also the SMTP sender address then?
SMTP doesn't usually allow you to specify the address. The SMTP account used will use what ever it is configured for.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

coolindark

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 18, 2019, 03:43:59 AM
Quote from: coolindark on March 18, 2019, 03:39:49 AM

SMTP doesn't usually allow you to specify the address. The SMTP account used will use what ever it is configured for.

Yes, exactly... i have to figure out how to set Amazon SMTP user with email address... because there is no option. Ok then, thanks for your time. Time for Amazon support then.

Advertisement: