Manipulation with member

Started by efk, March 19, 2019, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efk

Hey guys, is there any mod that can lie targeted user, so that user can post, but no one can see that except himself. Literally making user who always awaits post/topic moderation, so he can see that he posted and he thinks that his posts are seen from forum crew, but actually no one can see what he is posting, targeted member is like a ghost. I know for annoy user and similar mods but something like this could be really cool solution to not ban someone, to keep him all the time moderated and as ghost, nothing to approve nor delete from him, his experience should remain the same like new user under awaiting for post/topic to be approved.

delta5

Sounds like Twitter shadowban to me. Twitter does that because they need to glean data off of your PC to make money, even if they don't want you there. What would be the point of a shadow ban on a forum? Just a curious forum owner here :)

Arantor

Shadowbanning is only effective right up until they look at the site as a guest and see that their posts aren't visible... at which point it usually enrages said user and they go on a spree of doing whatever they can to annoy.

Why would you do it on a forum? It's like a regular ban but allows the frustrated user the chance to work through their frustration and leave of their own volition rather than running into a full ban.

Interestingly, sites that claim to promote free speech have historically been more likely to use such methods to get rid of malcontents.

delta5

Like Twitter shadow banning conservatives to promote "conversational health"?

Arantor

And that's exactly why shadowbanning is a bad idea, especially when such claims cannot be readily proven in an objective way (malcontents would be likely to claim they are shadowbanned to stir up a reaction)

I would suggest not being political about such things, since there are always at least two sides to every story and very often no-one wants to hear the side that doesn't fit their narrative.

efk

This is about very specific kind of people, people who wants their posts to be seen from those who can approve/delete posts, so they can't see their posts approved, or sometimes if someone do mistake and approve, that happens from time to time so that encourage them. It is much better to let them do what they do, but completely like a bots/ghosts than to play with admin thing since those people are using vpn and maybe some other stuff, so its not about regular users with low knowledge. So instead of wasting time on that: trying to focus on more control over new member membergroup or moving to special membergroup where those people can't make posts anymore (=problem, creation of new accounts, doing more job to everyone, more damage, being free to spam after getting needed amount of posts, posting links to random sites - which means forcing me to disable links and going for more plugins for everything).
So guys I hope that you understand my situation, its somehow similar to Report to Admin message where user can spam administrator and smf from what I have read some time ago is not offering real defence, which I personally consider as hole in system. With making user to think that he is annoyance, and keeping magnification of his account, but with limits, and still giving him ability to post - which is in another way Attention, I'm keeping the order. That is the most effective way to keep everyone happy and to prevent real problems and real problems may come if player is banned and start going with new accounts. Then he can ask for support, my crew will lose time on problematic person over and over and that guy will enjoy even more. This thing mentioned above lasts for months, if I was stupid to go with bans, not sure how bad things could become. So I consider this as the most intelligence way to face users who are real problem, and as aggressive gaming community (many aggressive players for different reasons are coming on forum) there can be found often problematic user.

Doug Heffernan

This will require a Techy goes to coventry type of mod. Or a.k.a Global Ignore. I can develop one for you, for a fee. Please contact me in private if you are willing to pay for its developement.

P.s. You might find my mod Miserable Users interesting btw. It might come in handy for your situation with those annoying users.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=565438

Arantor

That's exactly what it is. I was just explaining what actual use of it tends to produce.

Advertisement: