News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Re-order posts ?

Started by keyboard, March 28, 2019, 09:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboard

Hi

Is there a way to re-order posts in a message ? I want to move a post from the second post to the beginning. 

Ron
Слaва
Украинi

Looking

Maybe someone knows of a better way but what I do is order by date and change the date on the post in question.

keyboard

@looking
Perhaps I have misread your explanation. I have a post with 10 messages, I wish to move the 3rd message and move it to be the 1st.
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

there is no good way to do this.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Looking

Keyboard, yes... if I remember correctly I think SMF orders the posts by IDs, what I do is order it by date and then change the date to where you want it. Therefore, in your case you would change the date to be before the date of the first post.

Kindred

this involves direct database edits which is almost never recommended
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Looking

Some custom coding will do it without having to modify the DB.

keyboard

Quote from: Looking on March 28, 2019, 10:02:34 AM
Some custom coding will do it without having to modify the DB.

What is the protocol to discuss this in private ?
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

you can't change the date on a post without database edits....
(yes, you could write code to allow you to do it, but it still involves database edits - although not direct, in that case)

Also, you would need custom coding to change the sort to use date....

which means two pieces of custom coding to do this for one thread....   
Слaва
Украинi

br360

You could also just edit the posts. Remove the contents of the second post and add it into the first post and the contents of the first post into the second (or wherever you want the contents of any post to go)

If there is an issue with making sure the right member gets credited with their actual post, you could also install one of the post as another member mods and change the member of any post to whatever other member.

Advertisement: