News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Reverse order of login time

Started by skb, April 11, 2019, 03:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Is it possible to reverse the order of time period when logging in ?

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Sesquipedalian

Possible? Sure. But only by modifying the code. There's no user friendly way at this time.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Sesquipedalian

For my own part, I'd prefer to see the "Always stay logged in" option at the top and then the rest of the options in their current order below that.

Honestly, I would rather replace the whole thing with a simple "Remember me" check box, but that idea is known to provoke heated debate.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

Honestly I'd simplify this away to just having "always stay logged in" as a tickbox or have the cookie last for the session. That's a little trickier to do but I can point you in the direction of what would need changing to make that a thing.

SychO

a checkbox would indeed be much better
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Arantor

https://github.com/StoryBB/StoryBB/pull/693/files The changes I made but note that mine is a very different repo now... still the core of the changes would cover most things.

skb

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on April 11, 2019, 04:30:47 AM
For my own part, I'd prefer to see the "Always stay logged in" option at the top and then the rest of the options in their current order below that.

That was exactly what I had in mind. Always stay logged in as the default,

Quote from: Arantor on April 11, 2019, 05:01:46 AM
https://github.com/StoryBB/StoryBB/pull/693/files The changes I made but note that mine is a very different repo now... still the core of the changes would cover most things.

Thanks Arantor. This is beyond my capabilities. I'll wait for another day.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Biology Forums

Never understood the importance of having the end user choose. I usually remove it, and "<input hidden" the 'always stay logged in' option. If someone wants to be forgotten, they log out, plain and simple.

If you're interested in that, let me know

Arantor

The trick is, it really isn't quite that simple with SMF's architecture, especially on the occasions SMF will rebuild the cookie that aren't directly attached to login.

skb

Quote from: Study Force on April 11, 2019, 08:36:34 AM

Thanks, but we would like the options. Only the Always logged in should be the default.

@Arantor, I couldn't locate the ".hbs" files or the templates folder. If the rest of the changes are made, will that do.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Sir Osis of Liver

Have never understood why there's the options.  On all my production forums I've always removed it and set cookielength to -1.  It's never caused a problem, and no one has ever complained.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Biology Forums

It's like our minds are connected via telekinesis.

Kindred

Ummmm... wrong word.
Tele kinesis is moving something without touching it
Tele pathy is communication across distance -- in common usage,  communication mind to mind
Clairvoyance is seeing without physical presence
Clairaudeince is hearing without physical presence
Precognition is knowledge before  happening

Etc etc etc
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Quote from: skb on April 11, 2019, 04:38:03 PM
Quote from: Study Force on April 11, 2019, 08:36:34 AM

Thanks, but we would like the options. Only the Always logged in should be the default.

@Arantor, I couldn't locate the ".hbs" files or the templates folder. If the rest of the changes are made, will that do.

Of course you won't be able to find the hbs files, since this is my fork of SMF that totally replaced the entire template system with one that breaks less if you happen to do something weird with it. But you will need to change the login templates, mostly in Login.template.php.

It was mostly posted as a reference for some enterprising mod maker as to all the other changes that might be relevant with the templates being obvious for them.

Arantor

Quote from: Study Force on April 12, 2019, 12:28:30 PM
@arantor Can we see it?

There isn't a public site using it yet, even the private betas are a bit out of date and in any case I guarantee the fork is not suitable for most SMF users.

I just shared the changes as I'd recently done them and it seemed like a relevant useful starting place.

Biology Forums

I remember you used to work on Wedge, though I haven't heard of any activity on that in a while

Arantor

I left Wedge 6 years ago, though this is getting a bit off topic. Clash of personalities.

StoryBB is a completely different beast with very specific ideas of what type of forums it wants to support - namely not normal ones. But it is still mostly 2.1 code except for the themes at this point.

Advertisement: