Windows Server Update KB4493473 broke my forum

Started by AlanDewey, May 06, 2019, 09:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanDewey

Did the update this morning and re-booted and then got the "unable to connect to database..." message. 

NOT a SMF problem :-)

Problem was because MySQL would not start.    Even MySql Workbench couldn't connect.... it told me that Mysql server was not running.

I don't know a lot about servers, but searching the internet, I still could not find out how to make it start.

I could not figure it out, so I uninstalled the update, re-booted, and everything is fine now.

The problem update is:
Quote2019-04 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4493473)

I am now back at
Quote2019-04 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4493470)
which is was 'successfully installed' April 13. 
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Arantor

Check the MySQL log for more details about why it couldn't start up.

AlanDewey

QuoteCheck the MySQL log

Excellent suggestion.

I am hunting for it.  Do you know where I might find it?

Arantor

AlanDewey

Default location:  c:\Program Files\MySQL

You are asking about a   MySQL log, correct?

I just searched all of C:\  for *.log   I see many with today's date.   But none have a filename that seems to be what I am looking for.

I did find logs for Mysql Workbench.

QuoteC:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\MySQL\Workbench\log

These are very short and contain this several times each
QuoteError 2003 connecting to server, assuming server is down and opening editor with no connection
07:41:23

This is found in ...  \MySQL\Workbench\log\sql_actions_Local_instance_MYSQL80.log
[1, 07:43:16] Could not connect, server may not be running.: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

And I do realize this problem has nothing to do with SMF, so I super-extra appreciate the help.

Arantor

I was indeed asking about the MySQL log, and I'm really concerned that you don't seem to actually have one configured.

OK so next question, are the logs even configured? This involves looking in the MySQL configuration file, which might or might not be where you think it is - it might be in C:\Program Files\MySQL but it can end up in the Windows folders. It's *usually* called my.cnf but can also be called my.ini.

AlanDewey

I will check after breakfast.

But this adventure reminds me that although I do not know squat about databases, I did find this funny many many years ago.....

School principal called a parent...   Did you really name your son Robert'); DROP TABLE 'Students'; –?

AlanDewey

This is a screengrab from Mysql workbench.   I don't think we'll learn anything from this.

Today's stuff highlighted in blue.  We see a normal shutdown this morning for the server re-boot  at 11:15:35.

Then nothing for more than an hour until the microsoft update was uninstalled and system rebooted again.

Arantor

Then I don't know what to suggest... for some reason there's still a lack of logs going on, since on a normal MySQL startup there should be more messages than that... but without logs it's impossible to say why it didn't start up correctly.

AlanDewey

I am going to forget about it for now.   microsoft will probably update their update to fix their fix in a week or so.

I have to go back to living by the rule to never install an update less than two weeks old.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement: