News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

can only login in incognito mode

Started by arielvered, May 08, 2019, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3vcho

Quote from: arielvered on May 08, 2019, 05:35:59 PM
i have attached a screen cap.
incognito logged in, regular one with the error message.

That's familiar to me and has probably to do with your current theme. Please, check this page: Login error 2.0.14. If you can't figure out how to achieve that, please attach your index.template.php of the current theme here so we can take a look at it.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

arielvered

Quote from: d3vcho(); on May 09, 2019, 04:55:03 AM
That's familiar to me and has probably to do with your current theme. Please, check this page: Login error 2.0.14. If you can't figure out how to achieve that, please attach your index.template.php of the current theme here so we can take a look at it.
I already tried implementing that before I asked for help, and the solution recommended there is in my original post here, but perhaps I didn't understand the instructions there and added the extra "input" value in the wrong place.

I have attached my index.template.php file

GigaWatt

Regarding the loging fix, everything seems to be OK in your index.template.php file.

QuoteSMF 2.0.14+ now requires the a session check in the <form> for the login function. If your custom theme has a login form, such as in index.template.php, boardindex.template.php or login.template.php, you will need to modify the theme to allow the login function to work correctly. In order to modify the theme, add the following code along with the other "hidden" input types, or anywhere before the closing </form> tag in the login form.

<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

This code is used to help increase security for SMF.

Did you apply it in the other 2 places (if those files exist in your current theme)?

Also, try setting changing the login cookie name to something else.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

shawnb61

Hate to ask the obvious,  but...

Have the folks experiencing problems cleared their browser cookies?  Sure sounds like a stale cookie.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

arielvered

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 09, 2019, 07:52:36 PM

Did you apply it in the other 2 places (if those files exist in your current theme)?

I don't have the boardindex.template.php or login.template.php files in my theme. Presumably it will take from the default them if they don't exist?

arielvered

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 09, 2019, 07:52:36 PM

Hooray! That fixed it.
Thanks so much for your help

arielvered

I want to thank the kind people here for helping me.
I not only resolved my problem, I also resolved a few I didn't know I had.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement: