News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Old language files seems to make problems...

Started by PoML, May 12, 2019, 06:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoML

I have a forum where there was installed Norwegian  and English language, both in normal and UTF8 versions before upgrade from 2.015 to 2.1.RC2
I have also installed the Norwegian RC2 language files on top, but I think SMF is confused on the old and new language files settings with UTF8 and latin1.

The symptoms are as follows:
* Attempt to set Norwegian language as default creates a need to set it back manually using repair-settings.php, with the forum not responding at all.
* Attempt to enter the edit languages admin menu give the same result.
* Attempt to enable user choice of language results in unavailable result for users that choose Norwegian.
* Setting all users and default language back to English seems to work OK, but the edit languages admin menu is still no possible to enter.

Error message: "This page isn't working <site> is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500"
URL: ...forum/index.php?action=admin;area=languages;sa=edit;dcbe096=a54ac7c21bd7881119b9e0dbd00102ae

I presume I have to manually remove all old language settings.
Is there any hints on how to do that anywhere?
I presume I need to do some more things than just removing language files?

Dag

m4z

I'm not an expert and can't find the info on this right now, but IIRC 2.1 recommends to only use the UTF8 files, or even supports only these.

You can delete a language via config -> languages -> edit languages -> click on language name or "edit", then the "delete" button (careful though, there's a small bug with the cancel button that shouldn't matter for you too much).

I don't know if deleting the language files from the file system is a smart idea, there might be leftovers of (the install status of) these languages in the database then.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

PoML

As maybe others thought this was solved -  as I stated, I cannot enter the admin language menu without the forum being unresponsive.
I think the problem actuallu has to do with the fact that language files previously was latin when nothing was added, while now NB-NO without UTF8 mentioned in the file names are UTF8.  Which means some leftovers are used as it they were UTF8.
What I don't see is why that should do more than giving some garbage characters somewhere.

RML

I think there is something wrong with the 2.1 language files, I had the same problem with Hungarian language, when I installed it the forum stoped working. It happend with the Beta 4, the RC1 and even with a clean install RC2 version.

Advertisement: