News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Posting topics to social media

Started by njtweb, May 19, 2019, 08:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

Currently I use Optimus seo mod and it's the only way I can get facebook and twitter to recognize the first image in the topic to use as the posted image on said platforms.

If I turn off Optimus Facebook and Twitter won't post the image from the topic. They both post a generic no image, image.

I'd like to turn off Optimus altogether  at this point but I still want Facebook and Twitter to recognize images in my posted topics. Is there a way to make the social media sites recognize the images without using a mod? Or is there a mod that will do this?

Mick.

Why remove a mod to install another? I use Optimus and it does what it suppose to do. When i post a link to facebook and twitter, it pulls the first image from such post. That's what we want right? Why remove a perfectly made mod to install another that does the same thing? Optimus uses OpenGraph, if ya remove it, then you would have to edit your index.template with the opengraph code manually. But why?

http://ogp.me/

njtweb

Quote from: Mick. on May 19, 2019, 09:08:27 AM
Why remove a mod to install another? I use Optimus and it does what it suppose to do. When i post a link to facebook and twitter, it pulls the first image from such post. That's what we want right? Why remove a perfectly made mod to install another that does the same thing? Optimus uses OpenGraph, if ya remove it, then you would have to edit your index.template with the opengraph code manually. But why?

http://ogp.me/

Hi Mick, I use Tiny Portal articles for several aspects of my site. When I post them to FB, FB completely ignores the article subject, description and any image in the article. Instead it posts the default site name, description and image. After all kinds of testing with Tiny Portal developers it was determined Optimus is to be the issue.

I've even added meta tags in my HTML articles and FB doesn't even recognize that either.

This is my "Rink Guide" article
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?page=11

This is how it's parsed. All defaults. FB recognizes nothing from the article.

Mick.

I bet you, that if you take a link from whatever topic from your forum and post it to fb and twitter, it works as it should. My guess is the way tinyportal writes the article link, it messes things up. I just took a look in Sources/Class-Optimus.php and it shows the code is written for tinyportal use but didnt see anything about articles tho.

Anyways, I doubt there is a mod that uses opengraph like Optimus that will post TP articles the way we want, but i've been fooled before.

njtweb

Oh it definitely posts topics correctly, I have no problem there. It doesn't work for articles which I absolutely need it to work for because thats where the most important content of my site is. I edited my last reply to show what it looks like.

Mick.

I just tried with my test site.... same thing. Obviously, optimus cannot post tp articles to social media. I dont know what mod does to be honest.

njtweb

Quote from: Mick. on May 19, 2019, 09:35:01 AM
I just tried with my test site.... same thing. Obviously, optimus cannot post tp articles to social media. I dont know what mod does to be honest.

You mentioned the sources/class-optimus.php file not showing any support for articles. I just posted in Bugo's Optimus topic to see if they can add support. Or at the very least provide the code that we can add to the file ourselves. Hopefully they can, that would help immensely.

Mick.

Quote from: njtweb on May 19, 2019, 09:41:52 AM

You mentioned the sources/class-optimus.php file not showing any support for articles. I just posted in Bugo's Optimus topic to see if they can add support. Or at the very least provide the code that we can add to the file ourselves. Hopefully they can, that would help immensely.
Well i dont know where he would add support for TP. I only looked in that file and saw TP entries.

njtweb

Quote from: Mick. on May 19, 2019, 09:43:42 AM
Quote from: njtweb on May 19, 2019, 09:41:52 AM

Well i dont know where he would add support for TP. I only looked in that file and saw TP entries.

Ok, hopefully he understands and can see that articles don't post correctly and identify where or what needs to be added.

Advertisement: