wanted to put one or more columns in member list table

Started by KTN, August 25, 2019, 09:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTN

where do I edit to add one or more columns in the member list table? For example " like counts"  for the members and "Last active" date of the members.

vbgamer45

In would be in the database using a tool such as phpmyadmin or adminer.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

KTN

Those data are already in the database. I want to see the table with an extra column when you click the "Members" from the menu nav. bar on my forum.

Kindred

Under 2.0.x, that was difficult.
I think it got a little easier in 2.1, but it's still not simple.
You have to edit the code, add the headers and the columns as well as calling for the data in each member array
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

KTN

Arantor

There's no mod for it, and to make it worse adding likes count on the member table is very expensive (= very slow).

KTN

Thanks for the advice, but it is showing the top 10 most like users at forum stats ( Statistics Center) not make the site slow down right? it has come with default theme I think.

Arantor

It's one of the slowest elements in that list, incidentally - and it's only doing the top ten. For the memberlist it would have to evaluate 10x the amount of data to do it.

I should point out the like system was *intentionally* designed to make it hard work to get bulk stats out because it actually generates bad behaviours in a forum by promoting the individuals who have the most likes, which breeds sub-community cliques etc.

KTN

Can I take out from the Stats? and if that will make my site run faster I will think about it, just curiosity.

Arantor

That kind of depends on whether the information is useful to *you* versus useful to the community at large; to the community at large the information likely breeds bad habits. But it might be useful for you personally.

What I'd suggest is removing the permission of normal users to view the stats - that stops non-admins (and search engines) from hitting the page, which only ends up giving them information that you probably don't actually want to give them.

For example, the stats invariably show when a site has hit its peak and when it is on a period of going downhill; if you're in the lucky position where the numbers are always stable or always going up, it's not a problem to show the stats off, but it's more problematic showing users that page when you're not in the ascendancy (view the stats here for an example; forums as a whole have been in decline for some time, it's not a good look to showcase that to your members)

KTN

My site reward (rank) the poster with the user like counts, we only have writers and readers. So basically I need to know the counts, but I can look it up with a query in PHPMyAdmin. Posters wanted to know normally so they can improve their writings too but I can explain to them that stats can slow down our site. I have  2 sites one with 15,500 members and another one is with 4000 members but I need to clean up inactive members too. 

Arantor

You'll note that what I'm suggesting will still let you see the counts of the main stats page.

I'm intrigued, how exactly would the stats 'improve their writings'? I have yet to see a single site where that is actually true, other than giving users notional goals of numbers of posts to write to somehow 'be better'. (But quantity is not better than quality.)

KTN

Quote from: Arantor on October 13, 2019, 11:34:20 AM
(But quantity is not better than quality.)

I agree with that one. Our sites are kind of adult, fiction, literature, story, discussion, etc. and readers give a like if they really like ( suppose to but honestly I don't know sometimes obligation maybe) so writers look a post how many like he got if more or less he uses to get and he can aware how is his writing. Sorry if the topic is out of the way. Thanks for your advice and opinion about that.

Arantor

The stats page gets you the top ten most liked messages, and the top ten most liked people - neither of these in practice actually help the goal you've stated (based on watching the last 10 years of forum software having likes).

If the software gave a user a way to see their own individual top 10 liked posts (rather than top 10 across the site), I might agree that has some merit, but even that has a causal relationship over time; older posts will trend towards more likes simply by way of existing longer.

Advertisement: